Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Escape "&" in drop down value

Hi all,

I am currently working on creating a new PowerApp for ordering items, and I have a text box which calculates the total cost based on the unit cost and quantity. I am using the text in the dropdown to filter the items to get the unit price, and I have just noticed that when the text contains "&" it stops reading after that character. 

This is the formula I am using:

If(Value(Quantity.Text) > 0 ,Value(Quantity.Text) * First(Filter(UnitaryOrderingFeederList, Unit_x0020_Name = UnitName.Selected.Value)).CostValue, First(Filter(UnitaryOrderingFeederList, Unit_x0020_Name = UnitName.Selected.Unit_x0020_Name)).CostValue)

And this is the error that shows up:

error.png

Has anyone had any similar issue? 

P.S. I should probably mention that I have tried to use a text convertion (Unit_x0020_Name = Text(UnitName.Selected.Unit_x0020_Name)), but it doesn't work.

MelindaK
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Escape "&" in drop down value

Hi @MelindaK

"&" is similar to Concatenate.

I guess it confused the formula. Can you try changing to others to avoid conflicts to those "controlled keywords used by PowerApps".

I can;t really remember where but I know it is mentioned inside tutorial to avoid using some keywords.

Hope this helps.

hpkeong
Highlighted
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Unfortunately, I do not have control over what is in that drop down. It is fed by a SharePoint list which is maintained by users. So, I need the solution to be as generic as possible. 

MelindaK
Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

This appears to be a bug in the query generation where the "&" is not being escaped correctly when we generate the query to the server for delegation. Thank you for the report, we are investigating.

Highlighted
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Thank you for your reply. Please let me know if it gets fixed 🙂 

MelindaK
Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hi Melinda,

What connector are you using?

Thanks

Reza

Highlighted
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

For connecting to the SharePoint list I am using the SharePoint connector. 

The function should filter the SharePoint list items based on their names. Some having the '&' in their names.

MelindaK
Highlighted
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Is there any news regarding this problem? I am about to release a power app to users and without this fixed I will need to change all the entries that contain "&" in an existing list. 

Thanks,

MelindaK

MelindaK
Highlighted
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Hi,

Has there been any updates on this? I still need a solution to this, it looks like the filtering doesn't work properly either with fields that have '+' in their names, forcing me to use 'in' instead of '+' - generating the blue icon. 

For example, if I have an entry with name 'F+T' it will not retrieve the value in another column unless I use 'in' in the filtering query. For any other value, it retrieves correctly even if I use '='.

Thanks,

MelindaK

MelindaK
Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hi everyone, we have a fix for this issue in the pipeline. It should be available by end of May. We appreciate your feedback and patience on it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,984)