Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cfebvre
Advocate V
Advocate V

Etag mismatch error, multiline field

Hi All,

I have a tricky problem, it seems.

I have a form with multiple dropdowns and a series of multiline and single line text fields. I have basically configured the app to act as a word processor / blog CMS.

It is necessary for me to have a duplicate of the Body Copy (Multiline) field of the form (which is hidden for users). This field's default property is the Body Copy section that substitutes UTF-8 Characters for a set of characters that are readable in Javascript. 

Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(ThisItem.BodyCopy, "é", "e"), "“", "\" & Char(34)), "”", "\" & Char(34)), "…", "."), "‘", "'"), "’", "'"), "ç", "c"), Char(34), "\" & Char(34)), "\\", "\")

Upon submitting the form, this substituted body copy is saved to the item in the Sharepoint database.

*Most* of the time, this functions perfectly fine. But I periodically have users tell me they are getting a Etag mismatch error and are unable to save their form. (Sometimes it's a 'Data source is invalid error').

It took me a very long time to narrow down the problem, but I have finally noticed that when users receive this error it appears to be because the Substituted Body Copy Field has not been written to (or updated in) the database. 

Notice the 2 body copy fields side by side. I nthe second example the Substitute field is empty.Notice the 2 body copy fields side by side. I nthe second example the Substitute field is empty.

To further complicate the problem - it seems that even *if* the substitute copy field is empty after submitting, pressing the submit form button again will often still update it, and no error is encountered. As I say, the error occurrence seems periodic and random.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? Is it possible there is some other underlying problem?

Most posts related to the Etag mismatch error seem to relate to the Patch() function, but I'm not using patch for this particular form.

Cheers in advance,

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call? Check out the recording here!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (39,304)