Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cfebvre
Advocate V
Advocate V

Etag mismatch error, multiline field

Hi All,

I have a tricky problem, it seems.

I have a form with multiple dropdowns and a series of multiline and single line text fields. I have basically configured the app to act as a word processor / blog CMS.

It is necessary for me to have a duplicate of the Body Copy (Multiline) field of the form (which is hidden for users). This field's default property is the Body Copy section that substitutes UTF-8 Characters for a set of characters that are readable in Javascript. 

Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(ThisItem.BodyCopy, "é", "e"), "“", "\" & Char(34)), "”", "\" & Char(34)), "…", "."), "‘", "'"), "’", "'"), "ç", "c"), Char(34), "\" & Char(34)), "\\", "\")

Upon submitting the form, this substituted body copy is saved to the item in the Sharepoint database.

*Most* of the time, this functions perfectly fine. But I periodically have users tell me they are getting a Etag mismatch error and are unable to save their form. (Sometimes it's a 'Data source is invalid error').

It took me a very long time to narrow down the problem, but I have finally noticed that when users receive this error it appears to be because the Substituted Body Copy Field has not been written to (or updated in) the database. 

Notice the 2 body copy fields side by side. I nthe second example the Substitute field is empty.Notice the 2 body copy fields side by side. I nthe second example the Substitute field is empty.

To further complicate the problem - it seems that even *if* the substitute copy field is empty after submitting, pressing the submit form button again will often still update it, and no error is encountered. As I say, the error occurrence seems periodic and random.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? Is it possible there is some other underlying problem?

Most posts related to the Etag mismatch error seem to relate to the Patch() function, but I'm not using patch for this particular form.

Cheers in advance,

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,130)