cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper III
Helper III

Exam Schedule

I have a list - that I can store in Excel or Sharepoint. This is currently available as a PDF on a website. I was wondering if there is a better way of making this available using PowerApps. The Columns are:

Department
Course Code
Course Title
Section
Instructor
Exam Day
Time
Campus
Exam Room
Exam Length
Registered

about 1000 rows. And I would like to Search on Instructor, Course Code, or Course Title. Any ideas on how I might approach this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Canadiansal  the data model would look something like this 

jlindstrom_0-1606313570354.png

You definitely don't want to use excel for this because that app would only be available to a single user. Sharepoint could work, because you could create different lists for the department, course, exam, registrations, etc, but still not the most optimal. 

At a minimum I would separate this into different lists or tables and provide the relational structure so you can do drop-downs to select the main pieces like course, room, exam when creating a registration.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

I've built this exact model, and it works best in a relational database. If it is just in a list, the department, section, instructor, etc will just be text values (or people in Sharepoint).

Big question--what are you trying to do with your app? If it is just show a list of classes, then a list is ok. If you really want to manage your classes, the reason a relational structure is better is because you can set up a master record for department, section rooms, course class, then when you create your schedule you could simply associate class schedule records with the appropriate department, course, section, and instruction.

@Canadiansal  the data model would look something like this 

jlindstrom_0-1606313570354.png

You definitely don't want to use excel for this because that app would only be available to a single user. Sharepoint could work, because you could create different lists for the department, course, exam, registrations, etc, but still not the most optimal. 

At a minimum I would separate this into different lists or tables and provide the relational structure so you can do drop-downs to select the main pieces like course, room, exam when creating a registration.

View solution in original post

Helper III
Helper III

Thank you. I am new to PowerApp, so I am just looking at a first pass of how to make this information more readily available to students. The current method is pdf on a website that they have to search. In terms of plan - its starting small and hopefully make it moe enterprise class. Do you have any videos on what you have built - would love to see how this tool is utilized in educational settings.

Helpful resources

Announcements
News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call- January

Mark your calendars and join us for the next Power Apps Community Call on January 20th, 8a PST

PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (11,441)