cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emcleod3

Excel Dates Not Appearing in PowerApps

I've tried everything and no matter, my Excel dates do not show up in my PowerApps app. Varying formats, read many posts with suggestions and nothing works.

My column(s) in Excel are set as "Date" using a short date format.

In PowerApps, the Excel fields are being accepted as dates and display with the calendar drop-down, however, the actual data is BLANK. All other data for the row(s) come in correctly. 

For example, I can create a sample canvas app with a data table, a form, a gallery and setup a simple Excel table with a few columns, some setup as Date with a short date format, fill in a few rows and connect. The dates NEVER appear in my app. 

Please help!

10 REPLIES 10
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @emcleod3 ,

One of the many reasons Excel is a terrible data source - format the date as Text in Excel and you will need DateValue() to read them and Text() to write them back. If you have access to SharePoint, I strongly recommend you using it instead.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

emcleod3

Hi thanks,

I'm not to use SharePoint for this project.
I do see PowerApps now allows Excel tables to have formulas and allows multiple users accessing the Excel file which makes a big difference. So my last issue is Dates and I see some people have gotten around the issue, but none of their work-arounds work for me.

@emcleod3 ,

If you really need to go with Excel, make sure you do not have more than 2000 rows in any table and also be aware that the Excel file cannot be opened outside Power Apps while any app is running and you should not modify anything outside Power Apps. You might look at the Date suggestion I posted.

emcleod3

Thanks. I have seen solutions where the column in Excel is formatted as "Date" and this seems to work for others. Do you know of how I can get that to work for me?

@emcleod3 ,

I am not an Excel user, but have seen a lot of posts similar to yours and formatting as Text solves the issue. Here is a good post describing the challenges and some possible solutions.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

emcleod3

Hello,

Yes I have seen those posts and have seen solutions that have worked for people using text in Excel and have  also seen solutions using dates in Excel (which is what I need to do).

I just must be missing a step or doing something wrong.

If anyone out there can let me know what I am doing incorrectly, please let me know.

Thanks  in advance.

Gatchaman
Frequent Visitor

Hello, I am sorry to digg up this thread, but I am having the same exact issue and I am kinda stuck!

Did you find something that works or a workaround?

Unless I set the Excel date column to text and it displays Integer format. PowerApps and the Excel for buisness connector can't read it.

if I import the interger in the app it's easy enough to convert it :

DateAdd(Date(1900; 1; 1); ThisItem.'date column name' - 1; Days);"[$-fr-FR]dd/mm/yyyy")

But of course I can't leave the date in Excel in Integer format and setting the column to date is not read by PowerApps leaving me with a blank field.

So...  any luck?

@Gatchaman ,

Maybe consider switching to SharePoint which handles Dates very well . . .

Would if I could! at some point I even thought of have the excel sheet synchronized with a sharepoint list and port changes from one to the other... But that is not on option.

I take it this particular issue of Excel has no solve or workaround?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,905)