cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robattrell

Excel Online Data Source Error

Hi, I'm trying to build an SharePoint list form that references the value from an Excel table in it (this piece of data will be changing via Excel). This part actually worked great when I'm testing it in Power Apps or logged in to my account, but it gives an error message, failing to find the data, when another user is testing it. This error message is briefly visible and I haven't been able to catch a screenshot since deciding to ask about this, but it appears to stem from the fact that the data source can't be found when the app is loaded.

While trying to find a solution to this problem, I am now finding that if I try to add a new data source which is in SharePoint (even if I try to add the data source I just mentioned again), I get an error message:

robattrell_0-1614196531225.png

If I copy the file to OneDrive and add it from there, it works fine. I have also created a new sample workbook with a sample data set which also has this same error in SharePoint, but copying the file to OneDrive does work. This has only happened the last couple of days, before that I was only having the problem listed above with other users than myself not being able to see the connection to the Excel file (the file is in the same SharePoint site and I've confirmed all users have full access to this document.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @robattrell ,

I have never tried that with an External User - you might consider replacing the Excel file with a SharePoint List - another reason to watch this video from Shane Young

I have also covered the subject in the third paragraph of my blog on data sources.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @robattrell ,

How have you shared the Excel file in OneDrive with the other user?- you need to do it through "Manage Access" (three dots) > Advanced (right lower) then Grant Permissions.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Hi @WarrenBelz, yes I have shared the file with the other user (they obviously inherit permissions on SharePoint where it doesn't work at all), first I tried Read-only (since that's really all I thought they would need), but still get the error giving them full control. The error message hung around this time long enough to get a screenshot:

robattrell_0-1614273920347.png

The table I am referencing in the app is called CurrentApp.

Hi @robattrell ,

To be clear - you did as below

ShareXL2.png

ShareXL3.png

and you are getting that message

robattrell

Hi @WarrenBelz, yes I do have the file shared that way.

Interestingly at first I had been trying to do this with an 'External User' (rather than a member of the group/tenant) the whole time. When it wasn't working, I tried with a member of the tenant too (I was doing this just in case the problem was that it just wouldn't work with an External User) but was getting the same error.

Now that I've formally blessed both of these users with 'Full Control' to the document in the way you describe above, as opposed to just inheriting permissions from the SharePoint site or being explicitly shared with in Manage Access (but not under 'Advanced'), it is now working with the member of the tenant, but still not working with the External User (what I really want is to have external users be able to use this app via SharePoint form).

So is this expected behaviour (that it won't work with external users even though they have full permissions for the document? And do they really need full control or to be explicitly named in the advanced sharing panel to be able to access this? Shouldn't their inherited permission as members of the Team/Group be enough, like I had initially?

Thanks!

Hi @robattrell ,

I have never tried that with an External User - you might consider replacing the Excel file with a SharePoint List - another reason to watch this video from Shane Young

I have also covered the subject in the third paragraph of my blog on data sources.

View solution in original post

Hey @WarrenBelz thanks for these resources! Though I'm not out of the woods yet, I've taken your advice and removed this dependency on Excel. I'm going to focus my efforts on coding a solution that updates a default field value for a SharePoint list and just displaying that default value in the app. I do wish this was easier (been trying to get it working for a few days now), but unfortunately this is the answer! Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (53,684)