cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excel as a data source

Hi ,

I am using excel online as a data source , if multiple users  are using PowerApps application and doing create operation in excel through PowerApps , will it will be successful ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I was being a bit more generous from my experience saying 5-8.  The documentation you are looking for would be the documentation covering concurrent use of Excel Online.  Here's one of the clearer answers.

Any Limit on Number of Users that Can Share a Word or Excel Document - Microsoft Community

For Excel its complicated because the number of co-authors is dependent on what section of the file they are authoring.  Since Power Apps works with tables you have to treat it like everyone is authoring the same set of cells.  For that the official maximum is 99, but with the caveat that anything more than 10 is very slow.  In my experience the performance starts to degrade at 5.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

As long as the Excel file is stored in OneDrive and no one has opened the file in the desktop version of Excel, you should be able to support a number of simultaneous users.  But probably not more than 5-8.  More than that and the performance will degrade significantly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot .Is there any documentation available in this stuff from MS?? According to my understanding if excel is not opened around 5-6 people can optimally use PowerApps

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I was being a bit more generous from my experience saying 5-8.  The documentation you are looking for would be the documentation covering concurrent use of Excel Online.  Here's one of the clearer answers.

Any Limit on Number of Users that Can Share a Word or Excel Document - Microsoft Community

For Excel its complicated because the number of co-authors is dependent on what section of the file they are authoring.  Since Power Apps works with tables you have to treat it like everyone is authoring the same set of cells.  For that the official maximum is 99, but with the caveat that anything more than 10 is very slow.  In my experience the performance starts to degrade at 5.

View solution in original post

Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

I recommend this 7 minute video by Shane Young.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmZM3tm2Zs 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot. Actually I need to set a limit for my client .Around 4-5 users at a time I will put then.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,091)