cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper III
Helper III

Excel connecting to data

On a daily basis I export spend data from a financial application into Excel.  I use VBA to modify the data and create a table.  I then use that data in powerapps to compare to budgeted information I've created from Sharepoint lists and Powerapps. I'm attempting to create a screen that shows budget to actuals.

But, it looks like I lose my connection each day as I run a new export.  Am I doing something wrong or is this how the connection to Excel works?

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ruth,

Sorry that I'm not very fimilar with VBA. If the export create a table each time exporting, then please understand that PowerApps only could have one table connected as one data source. If there are multiple ones, you need to add them all to PowerApps to make them show.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Advocate I
Advocate I

So you place the Excel in the same Sharepoint list every day.

What do you mean that you lose your connection? Do you get any specific error?

BTW

1. The name of the excel is not changing? I.e date suffix?

2. The table name into the excel is not changing?

I'm asking to be sure that PowerApps is not losing the reference.

I refresh my excel data on a daily basis by doing a fresh export from my accounting software.  I do this by overwriting the existing excel file in OneDrive and running a macro that formats the data as a table for Powerapps.  Sharepoint tracks all my budget information, the accounting software maintains my actual spend.  I'm creating an app in Powerapps to pull the two together.  However, everyday when I refresh my data in OneDrive, the app still shows my table but nothing displays.  I have to re-establish the link.

Nothing is changing. The table name and file name are the same.  I guess now that I'm writing this, it's probably not possible to do as the PowerApps ID is being overwritten and so the reference is not longer established?

It seems like maybe I could use static data as I'm not interested in changing the data.  Is it possible to "refresh" or "reload" a static table from Excel in my app?  OnStart or OnSelect of a button command?

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (73,046)