cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbungay
Frequent Visitor

Excel data file -column data type keeps changing from custom date to general format

The date type keeps changes on my excel file. Its only my date columns that are affected, but its all date columns.

I have 3 date columns, they date format changes from a custom (m/d/yyyy) to general format. All of the old entries change to the to number(44193.2916666667) and all new entries are insert with the universal date(2020-11-09T07:00:00.000Z). There are multiple tables in the excel file  with date columns and all of them change. 

I will change everything back and then it seems to be okay for while. I have no idea why it changes or better yet how to fix it.

1 REPLY 1
v-qiaqi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@jbungay,

Based on the issue that you mentioned, do you want to make the date column stay as previously looks like?

Could you please share a bit more about the scenario:

• how you set these date columns, format it as the Date type in Excel format cells?
  • do you have date time within the columns or only date?
  • how you update these date column in PowerApps, using the DatePicker?

I have a test on my side and do not have the same problem.

I suggest that if you have a date only column, please set it as the General type and format it as "m/d/yyyy" when saving data from PowerApps.

Further, here is a user who met the same issue with you, please check the thread:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Date-Format-changes-in-excel/td-p/670251 

Hope it could help.

Best Regards,

Qi

Best Regards,
Qi

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,147)