Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Excel in Onedrive, can't write file to souce

Hello, 

I've an issue with an excel table that powerapps still insist it's locked. So far I've been trying troubleshooting by;

1. Format table

2. Ensure there are no formulas and all data is raw

3. Check that table or so is NOT protected

4. right-click file and check if its writeprotected and it is not

I am running out of options, with what might be faulty. So I need second opinion from someone else that can try reproduce error.

link to excel: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AsVCpXcMv2bqgR-bNt7hQaJ9QegW

EDIT: Magically it started to work, after 4 hours of troubleshooting. I didn't do anything and then it just started to work. However that might be an issue, that files are said to be locked and after random hours it is not anymore.

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted

Hi Brian

You can submit a ticket in admin panel. That's what I have done and they will send to product team. My case wasn't because someone was opening the file. They have fixed for my case.
Thanks
BY
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi

I suspect when the excel file is sync on desktop via ondrive sync there could be a conflict and lagging in time that leads to the resource locked. I can't put a finger to it but I realised when I test a few occasions without sync it was ok.

Thanks
BY
Highlighted

I got the same issue, my powerapps cannot update the table in the excel file even though I already closed the file.

I did some tests and found the issue, very much likely it is because of Onedrive Sync. below are details:

the excel file is in onedrive and my onedrive is synced with my desktop. when I open the file with excel online and close it, my powerapps cannot update a table in that file with the error: the resource is locked... I wait for about an hour and try again and it works.

I copy the file to onedrive folder of another account, which do not have desktop sync, then I connect my powerapps to the new file and it works like a champ. it will not work when I open the file by excel online but as long as I have closed it, powerapps will work. 

so not sync the file you use with powerapps with desktop will avoid the issue.

Highlighted

Hi,

I went on the same road as everyone here and closed the Sync to Desktop option and it still did the same thing. The weird thing is that if you leave it for a couple of minutes it works fine. I kept digging through on line threads and found that it might have something to do with the fact that after you succesfully write in Excel in Onedrive once, the connection keeps hanging for a while and it locks any other attempts to write in that document. After some time, the connection drops and you are able to write succesfully again.
Have not found a sollution for this yet. Any other ideas?

Highlighted

I got the same issue. But, when I closed the excel file. The app was able to pull the data from the excel and dislplay it on the app.

Highlighted

Hi again,

Just found out that it only happens when you try to view the document that has been written into. If you run the flow over and over again without opening the excel file it works fine.
Highlighted

I have the same problem

Highlighted

I was receiving this error when i had my excel data source open on my computer. Easy fix, close out of excel file and the error is resolved.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I've gotten the same issue. Actually I got the "Can't read metadata" before and then the "Can't write because the file is locked".
What works for me was to set the access to the users via browser(Open OneDrive at the browser and change the users' access). I was doing that on my computer since OneDrive was synchronizing with the cloud but didn't work like this.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

The common issue such as 
Excel file placed on OneDrive is open.
But, another problem is with the table you define in PowerApp, if you assign the row size 1000000 which is maxed, in the current version of PowerApp. The APP which you are trying to build assign a PowerAppID key against all those blank rows/records & table assume to completely loaded to its limit, thus no new record is allowed to insert.

Just keep the single row in the table, which helps PowerApp to identify your data types. And let PowerApp to handle your row limit.

Regrads,
AD

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (11,874)