cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KallanMende

Existing Lookup Column Not Appearing in PowerApps

Hey Everyone,

I am attempting to design a Sharepoint List to benefit my organisation but am running into a single issue with an existing lookup column that is stored on a parent Site. This column is called "Campus".

The column displays in the Sharepoint List but is not visible when opening the form or PowerApps when attempting to add more fields. I've created all the other necessary fields and added them to a Sharepoint Form in PowerApps just fine. However, this one particular lookup column does not appear in the list.

Something I have noticed is that right clicking the test entry on the Sharepoint List and clicking Details allows me to view and edit the Campus column.

A few different things I've tried:

Deleting the column and readding.

Double checking the column is set to "Title" and not "Title (linked to item) in List Settings.

Refreshing the data source.

Copying the Sharepoint Form in PowerApps and adding the field.

Creating an entire new list from scratch.

Below are a few screenshots showcasing the issue (identifying information removed).

Any advice is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi KallanMende,

Here's what I tested:

- Parent's site, created a new list (Campus List) that will be used as a lookup.

- Still in the parent's site, go to site settings, Site Columns, Create. Add it as a lookup column type for the Campus list.

I added this to Custom Columns Group.

- Go to the child site's list (School List) and add the column using the Add form existing site column. (column name CampusName)

- This will allow us to use the lookup list from the parent site.

- in the School List's view, I clicked Powerapps, customize form to go to powerapps studio.

- Unfortunately the CampusName field is nowhere to be seen when we click the Add field.

Perhaps @v-monli-msft can help explain why the field is not showing up. Maybe because it was created from a site column?

What I would recommend:

- in the child site, create the School List and add the CampusName Column as a normal text field.

- in the School List's view, I clicked Powerapps, customize form to go to powerapps studio.

- in powerapps studio, add a new data source that points to the Campus List.

- edit the datacard for CampusName by clicking unlock, removing the textfield and replacing it with a dropdown.

- set the dropdown Items property to use the Campus List data source.

- remember to update the datacard's Update property to use the dropdown's selected value so it will update the values correctly.

Shane explains this way better in his videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ekj5MlNJU

Hope this helps,

melon

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-monli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KallanMende ,

I cannot reproduce your issue. I could add the lookup column for Form control inside PowerApps:

Capture.JPG

Can you please share the configuration of this lookup column? Is there any unusual setting? Please try with lookup column in other lists or create a new lookup column in this list to test.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-monli-msft ,

Thanks for the reply. The column I am attempting to add is an existing, site-wide column we have configured on a parent Sharepoint site. It's been configured as a site-wide column and has been added to a column group called "Custom".  We have a SQL setup that automatically updates location data into this list and hoping to use it as a master column.

Below are screenshots of the existing columns settings (1) and the lookup columns settings (2).

I have already attempted to use this same column on a different sharepoint list but haven't had any success.

Hi KallanMende,

Here's what I tested:

- Parent's site, created a new list (Campus List) that will be used as a lookup.

- Still in the parent's site, go to site settings, Site Columns, Create. Add it as a lookup column type for the Campus list.

I added this to Custom Columns Group.

- Go to the child site's list (School List) and add the column using the Add form existing site column. (column name CampusName)

- This will allow us to use the lookup list from the parent site.

- Unfortunately the CampusName field is nowhere to be seen when we click the Add field.

Perhaps @v-monli-msft can help explain why the field is not showing up. Maybe because it was created from a site column?

What I would recommend:

- in the child site, create the School List and add the CampusName Column as a normal text field.

- in powerapps studio, add a new data source that points to the Campus List.

- edit the datacard for CampusName by clicking unlock, removing the textfield and replacing it with a dropdown.

- set the dropdown Items property to use the Campus List data source.

- remember to update the datacard's Update property to use the dropdown's selected value so it will update the values correctly.

Shane explains this way better in his videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ekj5MlNJU

Hope this helps,

melon

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting in the community @KallanMende - can you review the above reply and update the thread if it was helpful? Also please let us know if you need further insight. 

@Anonymous 

@melon 

Hey folks, apologies for the late reply.

In the end, I utilised a custom form field that Shane explained in his video - after that, the drop down worked perfectly fine and any changes made to the SQL database synced to the Sharepoint column, and then the form.

Thanks very much for the reply Melon -  you're a star!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,804)