cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgcebs
Frequent Visitor

Expected a string error in number field

Hello,

I’m a PowerApps beginner and have been experiencing a specific issue for a couple of months. Here is my original post. I’m still wondering what I’m doing wrong. A prior version of my app became unusable due to the same problem, so started over from scratch with a new data source, and now the problem has returned to haunt me again.

Here’s the situation: I have a data card in the form “RecordEditForm” connected to a number column in my excel data source. The data card contains a text input that is supposed to accept and save only numbers. The following examples are pictured below: A) my save button executed the following command which saves all data cards in RecordEditForm: SubmitForm(RecordEditForm), B) yet, I still receive this “Expected a string” error message when I save. 

Picture8.jpg

Everything was saving properly until about 2 hours ago, after I customized several other data cards in my form.  I receive an error message when I clicked the save button, informing me that the field for my DOM Cost Share data card “expected a string”. I can’t figure out the reason for this expectation. As far as I can tell, everything is set up to expect a number.

A) The column in my Excel data source connected to my field is set to Number.

B) The update property of my data card converts to value.

C) The default property in my text input is Parent.Default

D) Format property of my text input is set to Number

Picture7.jpg

I’m not sure what to try next as I’ve already tried starting from scratch. Unlike the last time, the data type of the column in my data source is not reverting to text or general when I save. It remains set to Number even after I receive the error message. I check by opening my data source after I get the error.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? Should I abandon my forms and create my own text inputs?

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,307)