Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mircea
Helper II
Helper II

Expected record value in a DataCard

Hello,

I am new in Power Apps and I started with some basic staff: I have a SharePoint List and I would like to add items in this list using a Power Apps app.

So I created the application from the SharePoint list. I've got the Edit Form in one screen with all SharePoints column encapsulated in Data Cards. Till now everything ok and easy.

I have one calculated column in SharePoint which concatenates 3 columns: Column4 = Concatenate (Column1, "_", Column2, "_", Column3). 

Column 1, 2 and 3 are type "choice" with single choice and the same choices for each of them (Choice1,Choice2,Choice3) .

So the items from column4 are looking like: Choice1_Choice2_Choice3 or Choice1_Choice1_Choice1 depending what is chosen in Column 2 and 3.

By default, Power apps created for each of the 3 column (1,2 and 3) a data card with  dropdown (single choice). I would like to add in Power apps just one data card (corresponding to column 1) with a dropbox and to have directly from Column 1 the concatenation Choice1_Choice2_Choise3 when I add anew item in the list.

What I did was to change the "SelectMultiple" property of the column 1 dropdown and I tried to put in the "Update" property of the DataCard: concat(Column1_DatacardValue.selectedItems, value, "_") but it keeps telling me that Update property requests "record" type and not text. How should I write the formula in Data Card Update property in order to be seen as a record?

Thanks

Mircea

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Mircea ,

Do you mean that:
1)you want the column to be choice type ?

2)display it in the format of "Choice1_Choice2_Choice3"?

3)update it in combo box?

Please notice that:

If the column is choice type, it can not display as this format  "Choice1_Choice2_Choice3" in sharepoint.

But yes, you could make it display in this format in powerapps.

The combo box could only display the item in its Items property. So displaying  "Choice1_Choice2_Choice3"  is also not supported.

I suggest you use combo box to update, use label to display.

Try this:

1)set the column as multiple choice data type, value : Choice1,Choice2,Choice3

2)insert a combo box in that datacard to update data

set the combo box's Items:

Choices(listname.fieldname)

set the combo box's DefaultSelectedItems:

ThisItem.fieldname

set the datacard's Update:

combo box name.SelectedItems

3)insert a label inside the datacard to display data

set the label's Text:

Concat(ThisItem.fieldname,Value&"_")

Then you use that combo box to update data, label to display the data format that you want.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@Mircea 
The approach you could use here to remove the error is to change it from a Choices data type to text in SharePoint.  Refresh the datasource in your PowerApp after making any changes.

Then you would put this code in the Items property of the ComboBox

["Choice1", "Choice2", "Choice3"]

And the Default property of the ComboBox would have to be split into a table

Split(YourColumnName, "_")

Make the DisplayFields and SearchFields properties of your ComboBox this

["Result"]

Finally, the Update property should be set to

Concat(Column1_DatacardValue.SelectedItems, Result & "_")

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

@mdevaney 

I was thinking to this solution, but, I would like to leave the opportunity to add an item also directly in SharePoint. So I need to keep it for this case....

Thanks,

Mircea

Hi @Mircea ,

Do you mean that:
1)you want the column to be choice type ?

2)display it in the format of "Choice1_Choice2_Choice3"?

3)update it in combo box?

Please notice that:

If the column is choice type, it can not display as this format  "Choice1_Choice2_Choice3" in sharepoint.

But yes, you could make it display in this format in powerapps.

The combo box could only display the item in its Items property. So displaying  "Choice1_Choice2_Choice3"  is also not supported.

I suggest you use combo box to update, use label to display.

Try this:

1)set the column as multiple choice data type, value : Choice1,Choice2,Choice3

2)insert a combo box in that datacard to update data

set the combo box's Items:

Choices(listname.fieldname)

set the combo box's DefaultSelectedItems:

ThisItem.fieldname

set the datacard's Update:

combo box name.SelectedItems

3)insert a label inside the datacard to display data

set the label's Text:

Concat(ThisItem.fieldname,Value&"_")

Then you use that combo box to update data, label to display the data format that you want.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,098)