cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beyondthebox
Regular Visitor

Explanation: Delayed Load Experimental Feature

Can someone please clarify this statement by Microsoft as the meaning is a bit muddled:

Use Delayed Load

Turn on the experimental feature for delayed load if your app has more than 10 screens, no rules, and many controls that are on multiple screens and are directly bound to the data source. If you build this type of app and don't enable this feature, app performance can suffer because the controls in all screens must be populated even on screens that aren't open. Also, all screens of the app must be updated whenever the data source changes, such as when the user adds a record.

The first sentence describes most apps and so the distinction in line one is unclear. Second, I have seen posts where Microsoft states that screens are not loaded into memory until requested, yet this explanation seems to suggest that is not true.  Is the distinction that screens sharing the same data source, in any way, are all being loaded unless this feature is turned on?

My goal here is to understand how screens are being managed in memory so I can develop efficiency.

6 REPLIES 6
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I disagree with your comment the first line describes most apps.  Most apps don't have more than 10 separate screens.  But with that comment aside.  Power Apps originally loaded all screens and controls at Startup.  The delayed load switch was added, and is enabled by default, to let you only load screens and controls on demand.  BTW, its not experimental anymore.  Its now been promoted to preview.  The posts you are referring to are referencing a previous version of that switch which was disabled by default.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Join me at 365 and PWR EduCon in Chicago
EduCon Chicago 2022

And, I disagree with your first line assessment. Most organizations are building BUSINESS applications and they will typically have more than 10 screens. Ten is an arbitrary number because it really depends on the complexity of the screens.

Back to the topic...Thank you for the information. I have never found any posted information that refers to Delayed Load in any terms other than experimental so Microsoft needs to update their pages. We have Microsoft people on site and they stated this delayed load only affected the first screen loaded. That made zero sense to me considering the push to use the new start screen feature.

I'd like to have a Microsoft Engineer chime in here to confirm the purpose and operations of this preview feature.

Microsoft engineers don't tend to frequent these forums on a regular basis so I don't think you are going to get the statement you are looking for. In terms of documentation, I agree with you.  But the feature set has always moved faster than the documentation is able to keep up. And you have a right to your opinion about how many screens are in a typical business app.  I'm simply stating what I've seen out in the world as someone who works on apps and consults with businesses on apps. Also, if you look at the sample template apps that MS provides I have not seen a one that has more than 10 screens. But you have a right to your opinion.

EduCon Chicago 2022

beyondthebox
Regular Visitor

Here is the link from March 2022 referring to it as experimental. Perhaps Microsoft will see and revise:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/maker/canvas-apps/performance-tips

That article has 11 contributors, most of whom don't work for Microsoft. Rather than posting here try contacting them out on Github.  Just check the contributors link at the top of the article.  Also, if you check in settings its in the Preview section, not the experimental section. 

EduCon Chicago 2022

beyondthebox
Regular Visitor

That article is in the doc section of a Microsoft site, so I am surprised that the contributors would not be Microsoft people. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (5,097)