Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AB12
Helper I
Helper I

Export a Canvas App and import to new site

Hi,

We have a live SharePoint site “DSRequests” which contains a list “Requests”. I have written a PowerApp to manage how “Requests” works for the user (depending on entries they make). I need to make some changes to the PowerApp so we are trying to make a copy of it to use as a dev site. So far a colleague has made a copy of the Site – called “CTRequests” and copied the “Requests” list to ”RequestsCopyfromTemplate”.

The original site is “DSRequests” and the new CTRequests”. The original list name is “Requests” and the new “RequestsCopyfromTemplate”.

Following guidance online (https://poszytek.eu/en/microsoft-en/office-365-en/powerapps-en/importing-powerapps-package-as-a-shar...) I have exported the “Requests” lists PowerApp, (I change Import Setup to Create as new), edited the JSON file under Microsoft.PowerApps\apps\[numeric values] using http://jsoneditoronline.org/#left=local.lozale  and saved the changes - as per the guidance.

I have tried updating the following: SiteID, ListID, ListURL, Table name, DataSets, DataSources in the JSON file but when I try to import the re-zipped file I get:

“You have already created an application with this name. Please specify a different name”.

I rename the application name to add a letter (A, B, C) at the end and try again. This time I get:

“The sharePoint request failed with error: '{"odata.error":{"code":"-1, Microsoft.SharePoint.SPConnectorException","message":{"lang":"en-US","value":"An App already exists for this list. Remove the existing App before adding a new one."}}}'. The tracking Id is …….”

So, is it possible to do what I am trying - export the PowerApp from one site and import it, with a different list name to a new site, with a different name, on the same tenancy? If so, where am I going wrong? If not, is there an alternative to copying and pasting code?

Any advice much appreciated

Many thanks

Alison

1 REPLY 1
FrostedFlake
Resolver I
Resolver I

You should definitely give it a try! I recommend Visual Studio Code to edit the .JSON

To format the .JSON in Visual Studio Code, mark all with CTRL+A and format it with SHIFT+ALT+F.

https://poszytek.eu/en/microsoft-en/office-365-en/powerapps-en/importing-powerapps-package-as-a-shar...

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,466)