cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DAVIDPOWELL
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Extract first/last name from an email address

I have a formula that is extracting the first and last name from an email address.

Substitute(First(Split(glry_Email_Approval_from_mainform.Selected.FVP_Level3, "@")).Result,"."," ")

Now i need to do 2 things:

Formula to extract just the first name

and

formula to extract just the last name 

Please.

Thanks

dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@DAVIDPOWELL 

?? why all of that?  I provided a formula that will give you first and last name!!??

If you are now stating that the first/last name is separated by a period, then just change that in the formula.

With(
    With(First(Split(glry_Email_Approval_from_mainform.Selected.FVP_Level3, "@")),
        {
           FirstName: First(Split(Result, ".")).Result,
           LastName: Last(Split(Result, ".")).Result
        }
    ),

UpdateIf(t_redbook_sp_ActivityCollection,
        RBP_MASTER_ID = Value(RBK_EscalationId_txt.Text),
       { FUNCVP_EMAIL_ADDRESS: RBK_FVP.Text,
         FUNCVP_FIRST_NAME: FirstName,
         FUNCVP_LAST_NAME(assumed): LastName
       }
    )
)
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@DAVIDPOWELL 

How are you distinguishing the first and last name delimiter?  For example, lets say your email address is your full name - DavidPowell - How would you determine what is first and what is last?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

DAVIDPOWELL
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@RandyHayes 

good question...

have to take the 80/20 rule and assume a space.

dave

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@DAVIDPOWELL 

If you are assuming a space, then your formula would be:

{
       FirstName: First(Split(Result, " ")).Result,
       LastName: Last(Split(Result, " ")).Result
     }
)

Of course...there are a lot of assumptions in the email having a space and also that it is truly just a first and last name.

The above produces a record with both first and last name columns in it.

@RandyHayes ,

Can this formula be used inside  a "Patch" statement ?

Patch(t_redbook_sp_ActivityCollection,LookUp(t_redbook_sp_ActivityCollection, RBP_MASTER_ID = Value(RBK_EscalationId_txt.Text)),
FUNCVP_FIRST_NAME: With(First(Split(glry_Email_Approval_from_mainform.Selected.FVP_Level3, "@")),
{
FirstName: First(Split(Result, " ")).Result,LastName: Last(Split(Result, " ")).Result
}
)

}

)

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@DAVIDPOWELL 

Sure...

With(
        {
           FirstName: First(Split(Result, " ")).Result,
           LastName: Last(Split(Result, " ")).Result
        }
    ),

}
    )
)

ok for the first name i did this :

First(Split(glry_Email_Approval_from_mainform.Selected.FVP_Level3, ".")).Result

for the second name i did this :

Left(Right(glry_Email_Approval_from_mainform.Selected.FVP_Level3,Len(glry_Email_Approval_from_mainform.Selected.FVP_Level3)-Find(".",glry_Email_Approval_from_mainform.Selected.FVP_Level3)),Find("@",Right(glry_Email_Approval_from_mainform.Selected.FVP_Level3,Len(glry_Email_Approval_from_mainform.Selected.FVP_Level3)-Find(".",glry_Email_Approval_from_mainform.Selected.FVP_Level3)))-1)

dave

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@DAVIDPOWELL 

?? why all of that?  I provided a formula that will give you first and last name!!??

If you are now stating that the first/last name is separated by a period, then just change that in the formula.

With(
        {
           FirstName: First(Split(Result, ".")).Result,
           LastName: Last(Split(Result, ".")).Result
        }
    ),

}
    )
)

@RandyHayes , 

I was just working on it while waiting for a response.

will use your code...and Thanks !!

Dave

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@DAVIDPOWELL 

Oh...gotcha.  You had me wondering there for a moment. 😉 Glad that worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,050)