cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Craig_Humphrey
Advocate III
Advocate III

FYI Bug in current USA environments with Formula-level error management

After hitting issues Patching Blank values back into SharePoint, I followed the advice HERE (and HERE) and turned on the Experimental feature: Formula-level error management, which solved the issue.

However, I was no longer able to use IsBlank() on an image control (to see if there was an image associated with it), it just always returns false.

After some testing (Australia, Europe, USA and USA Preview environments), I found this only happens in USA based environments.

I'm assuming this means that non USA environments are more advanced (fixed the issue) and this update will eventually come to USA environments.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Randy,

Except IsEmpty on the Image doesn't work either (I checked on both the control and the Image property).

It does work on the AttachmentUpload_Control.Attachments - which is what I'm using as a workaround.

However, this workaround is only necessary in USA environments.  The others I tested (Australia, Europe and USA Preview) all work fine.

View solution in original post

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Craig_Humphrey 

You need to Coalesce the Image value.

See attached app.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

9 REPLIES 9
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Craig_Humphrey 

Can you describe your situation a little bit more?  Are you referring to a Media image control?  I am not finding this issue.  If I have a Media control set to Blank() testing if it is Blank returns true.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

Hey Randy,

thanks for the quite response!

Ahh, yeah, I've just created a testbed and you're right, if I just set a Media Image control to Blank(), then it's OK.

My particular situation is I'm using an Attachment control and the Image property of the Media Image control to Last(AttachmentUpload_Control.Attachments).Value 

(as per a Shane Young video...)

When there's no attachments (images) in the Attachment control, the Media Image is normally Blank, but not in a USA environment.

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Craig_Humphrey 

Right, so that would not make the image control blank.  You can check for empty as an alternative.

In that particular case, you might want to look at the attachment control instead of the image to determine your conditions needed.

Thanks Randy,

Except IsEmpty on the Image doesn't work either (I checked on both the control and the Image property).

It does work on the AttachmentUpload_Control.Attachments - which is what I'm using as a workaround.

However, this workaround is only necessary in USA environments.  The others I tested (Australia, Europe and USA Preview) all work fine.

I've attached an export of my test app.

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Craig_Humphrey 

You need to Coalesce the Image value.

See attached app.

Thanks Randy.

I guess I could argue that that is just another workaround, that is only necessary in USA environments and only when "Formula-level error management" is turned on.

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Craig_Humphrey 

Possibly. 

Coalesce is a mainstay in my formulas when dealing with any control properties or values that could cause an error or be blank (not the case in this scenario) as I then don't have to rely on the player to convert and possibly fail.  

We have many apps that check the image property like that for blank, the formulas utilize Coalesce in them, and the apps have Formula Level Error Management on, so, if there was a bug with any of that, I would be hearing some screaming!

But, I have not confirmed this to be a bug based on other locales, but if you are finding it different then I would assume you are correct and some correction is coming.

Thanks Randy.

Yeah, it would appear that in this simplified case, Coalesce is not necessary in other Environment locales.  Given that you're already using Coalesce, I wouldn't expect you to have experienced this bug, as the Coalesce hides it.

Primarily it's an inconsistency in the behavior of either the controls, or the IsBlank() function, between Environment locales.

Hopefully it's cleared up in a (near) future release for the USA environments, as who knows what other situations it surfacing in.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call? Check out the recording here!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (69,230)