cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaniSeara
Level: Powered On

Fail to connect to SQL customer database

We just finished a Power App for a customer (In fact a MSFT area). We use their own SQL Azure Server, with the credntials provided. However, when they publish the application in thier environment, or try to open it locally, they get "to Work Correctly, the pp needs to connct to these services and features, and display the SQL logo and the name of the original connection.
I asume the error raises because the connection (and a couple of Flows), were originally defined in our PowerApps environment. 
How we can solve this?. How we can deliver a Power App to a customer environment? 
TIA!

4 REPLIES 4
JRaasumaa
Level 10

Re: Fail to connect to SQL customer database

PowerApps isn't designed to be delivered outside the Office online environment it's built in unfortunately.

See the last few lines of this article (maybe things are changing but I fear not)

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/share-app/

What isn't supported?

• You can share to a security group but not a distribution group.
  • You can share apps with users in your organization but not users in another tenant.
  • You can share an app from powerapps.com but not from PowerApps Studio. (Click or tap a share icon in PowerApps Studio to open powerapps.com).
  • You can re-share an app if you have Contributor (not User) permission to that app.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @DaniSeara,

That is not error, but a reminder.  In order to have PowerApps works correctly, it would need the user to first initialize the connection used under App built within PowerApps, including other services.

Adding another article for your reference:

Share app resources

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
DaniSeara

Thanks Michael. However, there are another issues. The user added the corresponding paramaters, but now all the SQL Table references are lost. Seems like even when actually it IS the same database, the Power app do not recognize the same tables. 😞 

DaniSeara

This is my own replay, just as an update. Finally, the customer could add another SQL connection. BUT, all the referred tables are changed to [schmea].[tablename]_1. And I had to change them one by one. 
I think it could be enhanced and allow to define the connection string DIRECTLY in the Power Apps File (even better, allow the user to link to other external connection storage, like SharePoint Data Connections library, or even, Azure Storage). 
This is something the team must consider. 
Seomething similar occurs with FLows. 
Just think about it.
TIA!

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,415)