cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Field Update on selection change

Hello

I am creating a Checklist style App based on a sharepoint list.

One of the colums in the list is using data (AssetID) from an Asset list.  What I want to do is bring some information contained in the Asset List over to the Checklist based on the AssetID selected. 

Is there a way to do this without having to first select the asset then submitt the new form (In the list when viewed in sharepoint, I can see the extra information but only after the form is saved)?

I can get the information to display in the App, but that is using the associated lookup fields from the Checlist and I have to save the form first then go back into it.

Sorry for my double dutch....any pointers would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Andy_Tuke
Level 8

Re: Field Update on selection change

You need to use a Patch function triggered on the OnChange property of the control.  I think you're saying that you are using a lookup field.  I have written some blogs about doing this over the last week.  My site is linked below.

If that doesnt help drop me a message and I can have a closer look for you

Andy
Read my new blog at -
www.powerappssolution.com

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Andy_Tuke
Level 8

You need to use a Patch function triggered on the OnChange property of the control.  I think you're saying that you are using a lookup field.  I have written some blogs about doing this over the last week.  My site is linked below.

If that doesnt help drop me a message and I can have a closer look for you

Andy
Read my new blog at -

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thankyou for the info.  I think it will help....just need to find the time.

On a sid note, the List that has the lookup in sharepoint has a couple of fields associated with the original lookup.

Example:

Lookup Field: AssetID (taken from Asset List)

Asscoiated fields:

Asset:AssetModel

Asset:Asset 

The last two appear in the colums list as a lookup but are based on what Asset is selected.

Would I need to remove these two colums from the List Im building as they would be updated by using the Patch command?

Andy_Tuke
Level 8

I think you can just ignore them, I'd have to try it to be sure.  

The best answer, is that if you are only accessing the data from PowerApps, then do all your list linking etc through the app logic, not in SharePoint.  I'll probably write a blog on this soon as I thinks its quite a key point to learn

Andy
Read my new blog at -

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking along those lines as well. Ill let you know how i go.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used Global Variables to select the information from the first list.  Thanks for your help.

RAB
Level: Powered On

Hi Markos did you ever figure this out? I have a similar situation where ID is pulling in First Name and Last Name from another sharepoint list into the list I am updating.  I am trying to update the ID on an edit form but can't figure out how to pull the First Name and Last Name when I change the ID number.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Coming Soon: T-Shirt Design Contest

Keep your eyes open for our upcoming T-shirt design contest!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,742)