cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bpansy4
Frequent Visitor

Field pre-populating in form but no writing to data source (excel file)

My screen is used as follows:

1. user selects a case from the Case button
    • in that data table, I have CaseDataTable.CaseID Onselect: Set(varCase, "Edit") to make view/edit the case, and a button to create a new entry  (ResetForm(formCase); NewForm(formCase); Set(varCase, "Edit")
  2. user then hits the Needs button and NeedsDataTable and formNeeds populate as seen below.

HID and CaseID prepopulate based on the step1, but when I save the form CaseID isn't saving, but Case_Date and HID are writing fine. I can even go into the record and edit the call_back field (since it's not relying on anything from the previous table) and it saves, just the CaseID won't. Any thoughts here?

sample.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@bpansy4 ,

One more (rather hopeful) question - what is the DataField of the card?

View solution in original post

bpansy4
Frequent Visitor

Bingo. CaseID = CaseID & "_" & HID. CaseID was supposed to be date only, but it kept adding a timestamp that I wasn't seeing because I removed the hr/min from the date picker. That was the issue. Appreciate the tip there @WarrenBelz.  

8 REPLIES 8
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @bpansy4 ,

I assume you are using SubmitForm() here - what is the Update on the Data Card that the CaseID Text box is in?

Yes, just a simple button for SubmitForm(formNeeds) and the update is just DataCardValue33.text

Thanks @bpansy4 ,

Very strange - sorry for repeating the question, but just to be sure the following is true

• Your CaseID Text box in your screen shot is called DataCardValue33
  • The Update of the Data Card this is in is DataCardValue33.Text
  • The DataField of the Data Card is "CaseID"
  • The field you are writing back to CaseID is a Text Field
  • Your are using SubmitForm() to save this form
  • The data from this field does not save to the list

Is there anything inaccurate here?

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

bpansy4
Frequent Visitor

No need to apologize, you're trying to help me out! And yes to all your questions. I even went to the two excel tables as my sources and did a quick caseID(tblCase) = caseID(tblNeeds) and it returned TRUE, so I'm baffled. Every other field writes, can be edited, etc... just not that one field.

@bpansy4 ,

One more (rather hopeful) question - what is the DataField of the card?

bpansy4
Frequent Visitor

Bingo. CaseID = CaseID & "_" & HID. CaseID was supposed to be date only, but it kept adding a timestamp that I wasn't seeing because I removed the hr/min from the date picker. That was the issue. Appreciate the tip there @WarrenBelz.  

@bpansy4 ,

After all of that you marked your own reply as the solution - you might consider also accepting the response that helped you the most.

bpansy4
Frequent Visitor

sorry about that, honest mistake. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (59,888)