Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael1977
Frequent Visitor

Fill Combobox with ID out of selected gallery row

Hi,

on my screen a have

• a gallery with some entries I could select (only 1 needs to be selected) 
  • a new form build upon a Sharepoint list with a combobox (combobox is a lookup field in SP list)

Whenever I click on an entry in my gallery I want the ID of the selected gallery filled into my combobox and saved into my SP list.

First step is done with this in the DefaultSelectedItems property of the combobox:

Table({Value: Gallery.Selected.ID})

The ID is shown in the combobox as soon as I chose an item in the gallery - but it is not saved! Every other entries in the form are saved.

I need the form only for new data, not for editing. Do I still need the update property of the datacard, the combobox is part of?

In my Sharepoint list the concerning column is expecting the ID, so this should match with the data I filled into the combobox.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for every advice!

Michael

12 REPLIES 12

Hi @Michael1977 ,

I was nearly going to send you to my "getting started" blog earlier - I have not used Lookup columns for many years and you really have to seriously ask yourself why you are using them.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Thanks Warren - I've been on your site today, although not on this one 😉

And as long as Shane Young is struggling with Lookup fields in his videos as well (he really don't like them) I don't feel too stupid. Great parts of the interaction between Power Apps and the rest of the Office family works quite well and intuitive - but these topic seems to have some obsticles.

You are absolutely right. I have to think about the architecture and the use of lookups.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks @Michael1977 ,

Every time you think about using any complex column type (the only one I use is the Choice structure if I want to store multiple values), ask yourself if there is another way writing to text or numeric fields. You will suddenly find most of the "code gymnastics" goes away.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,001)