cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjDK
Frequent Visitor

Fill color won't refresh regarding to variable

Can Anyone help me please.
I am pulling my hair out because of this challenge.

I have made a bunch of controls on two screens.

I want the displaymode and the fill color to depend on the value of a variable.

The part that makes trouble is the fill color. (The displaymode works fine)
Scenario:
Choose screen1
Change the value of two dropdowns
Shift to screen2
Click button "False".
It sets the variable varFill to RED and all controls should be colored RED.
I does not!! I have tried everything..

7 REPLIES 7
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I downloaded your app and imported it into my environment.  The App works fine in my environment.  If I change the values in the dropdown and switch to the other screen and press the False button all controls are filled with Red.  Pressing True switches them all back to Blue.  Unless I'm missing something I am unable to reproduce what you say is happening.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
jjDK
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for your effort.

Do the controls on screen1 change too?

In my case only the first dropdown on screen1 change to red☺️

I did some more playing around and I was able to replicate what you are seeing occasionally.  Try changing the Delayed Load setting under advanced settings to off. This is a feature that speeds up the load of the app by doing screen expression calls on-demand.  I suspect what is happening is that when you change the variable it doesn't automatically take effect in all the controls until you interact with them.  AFter turning it off, saving the app, and trying again I wasn't able to reproduce your issue.

image.png

jjDK
Frequent Visitor

Sorry it does not solve the issue here.

The app acts totally like it did before. It doesn’t seem to update the fill on the controls on the opposite screen than where the variable is changed from.
It seems like the fill updates one control per time every time I shift from screen to screen.

It seems like this in particular is an issue with drop downs?

Did you make sure to save the app and reload it after you changed the setting?  Once I changed the setting and reloaded I have not been able to reproduce your issue.  I would also suggest that instead of saving the complex object that is the color itself I would save just the name of the color and put an IF() in the fill property of each control to set the color.  Trying to store complex objects in variables can be a bit flacky at times.  just use an IF in the fill like this

if(varFill = "Blue",Blue,Red)

And then replace your SET() with 

set(varfill,"Blue")

jjDK
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I am very gratefull for your big effort. Unfortunately the app behaves completely the same.

Yes I have changed/saved/published (several times). I have tried to execute the app from both PC and iphone/ipad.

I have now made two new alternatives:

V2:

The fill of all the controls is now depending on the variable varMode (True=Blue, False=Red)

V3: The fill of the textbox in the top of both screens is now depending on the variable varMode.

The fill of the rest of the controls on the screen then depend on this textbox.fill

I get exactly the same challenge in all apps. The controls don't all update when the variable is changed from another screen!

This is a great issue for me because I am building an app where I like to use the same screen for view and edit - and just want to let the controls rely on a variable (displaymode and fill).

It seems pretty straight forward but it suddenly makes so lot trouble to me 😕

jjDK
Frequent Visitor

I have made another version where I have replaced all dropdowns with textboxes - this version works perfect 🙂

So a bug regarding dropdowns maybe?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Ideas

Check out the New Ideas Site

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,335)