cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mr-dang
Level 10

Filter CDM service limitation (delegation in 2.0.531)

PowerApps had a 500 row limitation for CDM, meaning if you did a filter, you could pull up 500 records. I circumvented this by making a temporary collection in which I pulled in 500 records at a time from the original source. My app then ran on a temporary image of the original datasource.

Right now, CDM is displaying a service limitation for my work around. It is not successful in drawing in even 500 records.

I get the squiggly blue line for service limitation even for something as simple as:

Filter(datasource, column=variable)

I can achieve Filter(datasource, column=1) using a concrete number instead of a variable. But that's not useful since I need it to change.

I also get the blue line for:

Filter(datasource,Title=Gallery1.Selected.Title)

This is a cornerstone of what I do for filtering. PowerApps should be able to handle that easily though.

The datasource in question has over 5000 records. It is my bigggest datasource. Is there a new limitation on Filtering in 2.0.531?

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Power Apps Staff rgruian
Power Apps Staff

Re: Filter CDM service limitation (delegation in 2.0.531)

Mr-dang,

We are working to resolve the first limitation and category of warnings (involving context variables). In the mean time, as a workaround, may I suggest you pipe the value of that variable into e.g. a textbox control, and use the output of that control in your query:

Textbox33.Text = variable

xyz.Items = Filter(datasource, column=TextBox33.Text)

The second one we are still investigating. In the mean time, the same workaround applies here as well (refer to gallery.Selected indirectly via a Textbox control).

Textbox33.Text = Gallery1.Selected.Title

xyz.Items = Filter(datasource,Title=Textbox33.Text)

I hope this helps.

Radu Gruian [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Power Apps Staff rgruian
Power Apps Staff

Mr-dang,

We are working to resolve the first limitation and category of warnings (involving context variables). In the mean time, as a workaround, may I suggest you pipe the value of that variable into e.g. a textbox control, and use the output of that control in your query:

Textbox33.Text = variable

xyz.Items = Filter(datasource, column=TextBox33.Text)

The second one we are still investigating. In the mean time, the same workaround applies here as well (refer to gallery.Selected indirectly via a Textbox control).

Textbox33.Text = Gallery1.Selected.Title

xyz.Items = Filter(datasource,Title=Textbox33.Text)

I hope this helps.

Radu Gruian [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff

View solution in original post

mr-dang
Level 10

I used your solution and it worked. Thank you.

What are the prospects of being able to reference the variable again in future versions of PA? Do you recommend I use textboxes from here on out?

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
mr-dang
Level 10

[removed]

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
Highlighted
amarion
Level: Powered On

What methods did you use to get around the 500 record limitation. i only have about 2000 records. 

mr-dang
Level 10

Hi @amarion,

At the time of writing my original post in this discussion, I was using a method of pulling in 500 records at a time based on information in a TextBox (Label) since variables were buggy. That was resolved so variables are okay again.

As of right now though, I pull in 500 records at a time from a CDS entity using this method:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Forum/500-item-limit-in-CDM-entity-search-filter-need-...

This works for CDS because the RecordId field is validated for values. This will not work for Excel because you can't validate a field--everything is considered Text.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

Helpful resources

Announcements
Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch

Join us for the Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 AM PST.

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,450)