cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

Filter CDM service limitation (delegation in 2.0.531)

PowerApps had a 500 row limitation for CDM, meaning if you did a filter, you could pull up 500 records. I circumvented this by making a temporary collection in which I pulled in 500 records at a time from the original source. My app then ran on a temporary image of the original datasource.

Right now, CDM is displaying a service limitation for my work around. It is not successful in drawing in even 500 records.

I get the squiggly blue line for service limitation even for something as simple as:

Filter(datasource, column=variable)

I can achieve Filter(datasource, column=1) using a concrete number instead of a variable. But that's not useful since I need it to change.

I also get the blue line for:

Filter(datasource,Title=Gallery1.Selected.Title)

This is a cornerstone of what I do for filtering. PowerApps should be able to handle that easily though.

The datasource in question has over 5000 records. It is my bigggest datasource. Is there a new limitation on Filtering in 2.0.531?

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rgruian
Power Apps
Power Apps

Mr-dang,

We are working to resolve the first limitation and category of warnings (involving context variables). In the mean time, as a workaround, may I suggest you pipe the value of that variable into e.g. a textbox control, and use the output of that control in your query:

Textbox33.Text = variable

xyz.Items = Filter(datasource, column=TextBox33.Text)

The second one we are still investigating. In the mean time, the same workaround applies here as well (refer to gallery.Selected indirectly via a Textbox control).

Textbox33.Text = Gallery1.Selected.Title

xyz.Items = Filter(datasource,Title=Textbox33.Text)

I hope this helps.

Radu Gruian [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
rgruian
Power Apps
Power Apps

Mr-dang,

We are working to resolve the first limitation and category of warnings (involving context variables). In the mean time, as a workaround, may I suggest you pipe the value of that variable into e.g. a textbox control, and use the output of that control in your query:

Textbox33.Text = variable

xyz.Items = Filter(datasource, column=TextBox33.Text)

The second one we are still investigating. In the mean time, the same workaround applies here as well (refer to gallery.Selected indirectly via a Textbox control).

Textbox33.Text = Gallery1.Selected.Title

xyz.Items = Filter(datasource,Title=Textbox33.Text)

I hope this helps.

Radu Gruian [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff

View solution in original post

mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

I used your solution and it worked. Thank you.

What are the prospects of being able to reference the variable again in future versions of PA? Do you recommend I use textboxes from here on out?

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

[removed]

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
amarion
Frequent Visitor

What methods did you use to get around the 500 record limitation. i only have about 2000 records. 

mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @amarion,

At the time of writing my original post in this discussion, I was using a method of pulling in 500 records at a time based on information in a TextBox (Label) since variables were buggy. That was resolved so variables are okay again.

As of right now though, I pull in 500 records at a time from a CDS entity using this method:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Forum/500-item-limit-in-CDM-entity-search-filter-need-...

This works for CDS because the RecordId field is validated for values. This will not work for Excel because you can't validate a field--everything is considered Text.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,001)