cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter Choice look up field

I hope I can explain my issue clearly. I'm new in Power Apps so... here it is my issue.

I have 2 lists in SharePoint.

1. Master event catalog named 'Marketing_EventCatalog' .... aka Events

2. Guest check-in named 'Marketing_GuestCheckIn'... aka Guest

(I will use the aka names just to not write the whole name every time I'm referencing the list)

The Guest list has 2 columns.

1. Event Name - This is a lookup column to the Event list, it brings the ID, which the ID in the Event list is a concatenation of Event - Date - Market.

2. Guest Name

The Events list has 4 columns

1. Event Name 

2. Event Date

3. Event Market

4. isActive - This is a "Yes" or "No" choice.... CHOICE not True or False field.

In my Power App, I have an initial screen, to select the Market, with the name 'Dropdown1'.

This is my struggle. Every time a user wants to select a market in the Guest list, the dropdown is as big as all the Events IDs in the Events List. What I need is to Filter this combo box so it only shows events in the Market selected in the 'Dropdown1' and that are currently Active ("Yes" on column Active in Event list).

I have tried to change the formula in Items for the Event Name Lookup column to

Filter( Marketing_EventsCatalog, 'Event Market'.Value = Dropdown1.Selected.Value && Active.Value ="Yes").'Event ID'

And it actually works, it only shows me the events in the selected market that are currently active.

The issue is that after I tested it, when I save the record I go to my SharePoint and in the event field in the Guest list, is null as if I didn't choose anything.

I'm guessing it has to do that the options that I'm filtering are coming from the Event list and I'm trying to write a lookup column in the Guest List.

Please I need help.

Note, this is Canvas App (I don't know if that matters)

picPowerAppforum.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-siky-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

From my view, the Update property of Data Card should be like this, since the Items of combobox is single-column table.

LookUp(Choices('Marketing_GuestCheckIn'.'Event Name'),Value=DataCardValue8_1.Selected.'Event ID')

Hope this helps.
Sik

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Assuming 'Event Name' is a Text (Single line of Text) column in your data source, you need to change the Update property of the DataCard in which the 'Event Name' drop-down is located to

DataCardValue8_1.Selected.'Event ID'

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WarrenBelz Hi,

Thanks for your answer, the Event Name in my Guest list, is a lookup value of 'Even ID' on my Event list.

Thanks @Anonymous ,

I will give you the answer first - this is the Update of the DataCard

{
   '@odata.type': "Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference",
   Id:DataCardValue8_1.Selected.ID,
   Value:DataCardValue8_1.Selected.'Event ID'
}

then ask does this really need to be a lookup column if all the input is done in Power Apps?

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

v-siky-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

From my view, the Update property of Data Card should be like this, since the Items of combobox is single-column table.

LookUp(Choices('Marketing_GuestCheckIn'.'Event Name'),Value=DataCardValue8_1.Selected.'Event ID')

Hope this helps.
Sik

Thanks @v-siky-msft , that is another view on updating a Lookup column.

@Anonymous you did say the target column in your data source was a lookup column?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WarrenBelz 

I will test this and will let you know.

And to answer the question, NO, it doesn't, it's just how the SharePoint list was setup at the begining.

And yes it's. Lookup column

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WarrenBelz  I must have done something wrong, it did not work.

I tried your solution @v-siky-msft  and it did the trick. 

Thank you both very much!!! You practically saved my life !! lol

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,641)