cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper II
Helper II

Filter ComboBox with a specific data table/source column

Hello!

I have a PowerApp that uses an Excel spreadsheet (called BackendDatabase) in OneDrive as the data source for a Power Apps data table (called DataTable1). 

This table contains columns and rows with info such as Customer Names, Device Names, Location Names, etc.

I have 2 ComboBoxes:

- ComboBox1 (CustomerNameInput) the 'Items' field is set to BackendDatabase.DeviceName. When this is selected it filters the DataTable by the selected customer name, so details for only those customers show up. 

- ComboBox2 (DeviceNameInput) the 'Items' field of this is BackendDatabase, and the reasons for this is I needed to make a Collection of the 'Device Locations' column from the 'Backend Database' but only display the 'Device Name' field. What I have done is set the Display Field property to 'Device Name'.

(Capture.png shows the screen)

So what I am trying to do is select a customer name in ComboBox 1, and then filter either the DataTable or Backend Database, to only show the 'Device Names' field for that customer. 

Any suggestions welcomed and happy to provide more info!

Thanks in advanced

1 REPLY 1
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @AndyH_JSY 

If you have one table with devices and customers then you are already starting with a flawed design for your app.  It sounds like you have a One to Many relationship between customers and devices, ie. one customer can have many devices.  If this is the case, you should have two tables, One for customers and One for devices.     Please check out my post regarding database principles and PowerApps starting with the overview. https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/News-Announcements/Database-Design-Fundamentals-and-PowerApps-An... .  It should help you better design your app.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (41,860)