Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gazbeer
Helper III
Helper III

Filter Dropdown by a textinput

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this one please? I am trying to filter a drop down by what it matches in my data source and a text input.

ie, in the text box you type 'apple', the drop down needs to show all the results with apple from my data source column.

If you see the image, the user types into the text boxes below, that then uses 'Concatenate' to create 1 line, Can the drop down show all items with the matching line from a SharePoint list?

SSAudit.png

Thank you for any help

Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Gazbeer ,

The Delegation warning is the in statement. If you have more than 2,000 records, you need to consider something else (a collection will only work initially up the the Delegation limit you have set). 

So your choices are -

Use StartsWith() - completely Delegable on any number of records, but only searches the starting characters of the field.

Filter(
   'A.S Ranger 1 Handover',
   If(
      IsBlank(SearchShift.Text),
      true,
      StartsWith('Shift Reference',SearchShift.Text)
   )
)

If you will always have less than 2,000 records and want to get rid of the Delegation warning - set your limit to this and

With(
   {wRanger:'A.S Ranger 1 Handover'},
   Filter(
      wRanger,
      If(
         true,
         SearchShift.Text in 'Shift Reference'
      )
   )
)

Do a big collection - I have done a couple of blogs on this - Delegation and the With() Statement - there may be something in there that will suit your requirements.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TJO
Resolver II
Resolver II

@Gazbeer Howdy...some input, just an example:

If(
   textboxSearch.Text = "",
   yourDataTable,
   Filter(
      yourDataTable,
      Or(
         textboxSearch.Text in Column1,
         textboxSearch.Text in Column2,
         textboxSearch.Text in Column3
      )
   )
)

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, I am getting a delegation warning when trying your formula, I may have it in wrong lol!?

Could you have a look.

Thank you . Gaz

If(
SearchShift.Text = "",
'A.S Ranger 1 Handover',
Filter(
'A.S Ranger 1 Handover',
Or(SearchShift.Text in 'Shift Reference')
)
)

@Gazbeer You could try to put your data source into a collection and filter that collection:

ClearCollect(
   colMyDataSource, 
   MyDataSource
)

@Gazbeer ,

The Delegation warning is the in statement. If you have more than 2,000 records, you need to consider something else (a collection will only work initially up the the Delegation limit you have set). 

So your choices are -

Use StartsWith() - completely Delegable on any number of records, but only searches the starting characters of the field.

Filter(
   'A.S Ranger 1 Handover',
   If(
      true,
      StartsWith('Shift Reference',SearchShift.Text)
   )
)

If you will always have less than 2,000 records and want to get rid of the Delegation warning - set your limit to this and

With(
   {wRanger:'A.S Ranger 1 Handover'},
   Filter(
      wRanger,
      If(
         true,
         SearchShift.Text in 'Shift Reference'
      )
   )
)

Do a big collection - I have done a couple of blogs on this - Delegation and the With() Statement - there may be something in there that will suit your requirements.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Hi @Gazbeer ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,508)