Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdyMac
Helper I
Helper I

Filter Gallery

Hi All,

I am struggling to find an answer on how to filter my gallery,

I want to have a button that when pressed will show only gallery items that have a blank textInput, its a specific textInput called txt_Fin_Time

My Items formula is

Sort(LoneWorker, ID, Ascending)

Button OnSelect formula

Filter(LoneWorker, If(txt_Fin_Time.Text = "", true, false))

This doesnt show any errors but doesnt work.

Any Help would be much appreciated

Ed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @EdyMac ,

Firstly, you need to refer to the field in LoneWorker (I have assumed the name Fin_Time below. You also need to set a Variable with the button - you cannot set a Filter like you have attempted. Button OnSelect

UpdateContext({varPressed: !varPressed})

Screen OnVisible

UpdateContext({varPressed: false})

Items of Gallery

Filter(
   Sort(
      LoneWorker, 
      ID
   ),
   !varPressed || IsBlank(Fin_Time)
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @EdyMac ,

Firstly, you need to refer to the field in LoneWorker (I have assumed the name Fin_Time below. You also need to set a Variable with the button - you cannot set a Filter like you have attempted. Button OnSelect

Screen OnVisible

Items of Gallery

Filter(
   Sort(
      LoneWorker, 
      ID
   ),
   !varPressed || IsBlank(Fin_Time)
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

@WarrenBelz 

Hi Warren,

Thank you for your reply, I have tried your solution word for word but it didnt work, my textinput is called txt_Fin_Time so i tried that but it says it creates a circular reference, the button I am using isn't in the gallery, its on the same page, i just didnt want a button on every item of the gallery, so I changed it to Set(varPressed, !varPressed) and Set(varPressed, false) and IsBlank(txt_Fin_Time), but it still says its creating a circular reference.

Ed

@EdyMac ,

You need to use the field name in your List LoneWorker - you cannot filter a data set on a Text control (it is not part of the data set). What field is txt_Fin_Time displaying from the List?

EdyMac
Helper I
Helper I

@WarrenBelz 

Hi Warren,

By field name do you mean, column name in my sp list ?, its Finish Time, i've tried both 'Finish Time' and FinishTime but neither works 

Ed

Hi @EdyMac ,

Firstly, by "doesn't work", does it produce and error or simply not the result you expect. Also what is your data source (SharePoint?). As you are using a Text input, I assume the field 'Finish Time' is a text field in the data source? If this is SharePoint, go to your List Settings, select 'Finish Time' and look at the end of the URL at the top for the actual field name.

EdyMac
Helper I
Helper I

@WarrenBelz 

No it doesn't show an error,

In edit mode it shows a delegation warning (but im not worried about that as i'll manage the list so it doesn't get too big), it only shows one row and all the Text Inputs are blank (like a blank form).

In Preview mode, the gallery is blank nothing showing at all.

In Play mode, the gallery is blank nothing showing at all.

Datasource is Sharepoint, it is a Text input and my data source field is single line of text, the name at the end of the URL is FinishTime.

@EdyMac ,

To simplify this so I understand exactly what you want here - I am assuming from what you have posted that you want to filter your gallery to show records from the List LoneWorker on the basis that: -

1. If the button is pressed, show only the records where your field FinishTime is blank
  2. If the button is not pressed, then show all the records

I have suggested that you set a Variable when the button is pressed and toggles the Variable varPressed between true and false with each press of the button

As a result, the gallery Items should be

Filter(
   Sort(
      LoneWorker, 
      ID
   ),
   !varPressed || IsBlank(FinishTime)
)

It is also important to initialise the Variable at Screen OnVisible

Is there anything incorrect in my assumptions ?

@WarrenBelz 

Hi Warren,

Appologies, your solution works perfectly, I had another hidden button that I had forgotten about and that was affecting it, 

Thank you very much

Ed

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,510)