Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Filter/Search a combobox based on another combobox

Hello all and happy Friday!

I feel like I'm missing something extremely basic here, but here goes.

In my app I have two comboboxes. The first combobox is hooked up to a sharepoint list column, using Choices('Document Test'.'Business Unit'). The second combobox is using a Dynamics 365 connector to a table named Projects, with the end goal of only pulling data from a column named 'Project Number'.

Here's what I want to happen. I want to be able to select an option in combobox1 (the business unit) and then Search and/or Filter combobox2 (Project numbers).

I'm going to throw a twist in here now. The project numbers are related to the business unit by the beginning number. If I select business unit 26, there will be 9-digit project numbers that begin with the business unit (26), but with an appending 20. So there could be 262000001-262000010 in the project number column for example.

I want that combobox2 to automatically filter/search the results based on the business unit picked, with a *hopeful* addition of adding the extra 20 to the end of my Selected.Value from combobox1.

Does this sound in anyway possible? I've tried using Filter, Search, IsMatch, and StartsWith with no success thus far. Any advice is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Filter/Search a combobox based on another combobox

Update

I couldn't get a working solution for this question of mine. I decided to just go with collecting some filtered data from the Dynamics 365 table and then having a gallery pull and filter data even more from that collection. It wasn't what I was looking for, but gets the job done.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi there, happy Saturday to you Smiley Happy

It sounds like there could be various things wrong. IT could be either in the way that the first comboxbox value is referenced in the filter formaly for the second combobox, or it might be with the actual filter formula, or with the way the data is displayed in the combobox.

Try and get the filer going with a gallery and hard coding the filter formula under items, to try and get the gallery to return data for one project number. 

Let me know if you don't come right and maybe send some screen shots of the formulas for us to have a look at.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I appreciate the reply Dawid!

I attached a filter on a gallery that pulls back a single project number, but the same formula doesn't work on a combobox (that I know of).

My situation is a bit more unique where I have to pick a business number (77 for example in combobox1), and have the results (in combobox2) all begin with 77 or preferably 772. I'm not quite sure how to get there and I've tried like I mentioned in my first post using Filter, StartsWith, and Search in various combinations to no avail. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me, I'm not against using a collection. I've tried using a collection and haven't made any progress with it either. I'm sure I'm missing something basic, but I just can't figure it out!

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Update

I couldn't get a working solution for this question of mine. I decided to just go with collecting some filtered data from the Dynamics 365 table and then having a gallery pull and filter data even more from that collection. It wasn't what I was looking for, but gets the job done.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

This will be a conference that you do not want to miss!

secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,762)