cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caroline
Resolver I
Resolver I

Filter by lookup field

Hi there. I have a data table which needs to be filtered by the lookup field, based on the learner id of the current record, but it's not accepting my filter syntax. I have: 

Filter(Notes,Notes.Learner_ID = PrimaryIDTextInput.Text)

The data table is connected to the Notes entity, and I want it to filter the results based on the Learner_ID field (the look up field) of that entity matching the text of the PrimaryIDTextInput.

What have I missed?

Cheers

7 REPLIES 7
Mike8
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hello,

Have you tried: Filter(Notes,Learner_ID = PrimaryIDTextInput.Text)  ?

BitLord69
Power Participant
Power Participant

Hi,

Have you treid converting the text to an integer value? I assume the Learner_ID is an integer. Try:

Filter(Notes,Notes.Learner_ID = Value(PrimaryIDTextInput.Text))

Good luck!

@Mike8 @BitLord69 thanks for the suggestions. It is accepting both... sort of. I'm getting a non-delegable warning that the = predictate isn't supported by the look up column, so it isn't returning any data.

The source is a CDS entity, which supports both the Filter function and the = predictate, so I don't know why it isn't accepting it.

I also note that the Data field shows 'No data', but when I click on it, it shows the Notes data source. Presumably this is due to the = predictate as well?

v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Caroline,

Could you please share a bit more about your Notes entity?

I have made a test and the issue is confirmed on my side. 

As an alternative solution, please take a try with the following workaround:1.JPG

The Items property of the Data table control set to following formula:

Filter(Notes,Notes[@Learner_ID]=TextInput1.Text)

On your side, please take a try with following formula:

Filter(Notes,Notes[@Learner_ID]=PrimaryIDTextInput.Text)

Or you could also set the Items property of Data table control to following formula:

Search(Notes,PrimaryIDTextInput.Text,"Learner_ID")

More details about the Search function, please check the following article:

Search function

More details about the Disambiguation operator (@) in PowerApps, please check the following article:

Disambiguation operator (@)

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-xida-msft Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, neither option worked.

My app is built around the Learner Details entity, with one screen, housing the data table, using Notes entity as the data source. Without a filter, it pulls through the data no problem, but doesn't show any data when Items is given even a very basic filter or search function.

Notes has one look up field, Learner_ID, which relates to LearnerDetails.PrimaryId.

I have also tried: Filter(Notes,Notes.Learner_ID=BrowseLearnerGallery.Selected.PrimaryId)

And by adding a text box with Text = BrowseLearnerGallery.Selected.PrimaryId, I tried the foloowing filter:

Filter(Notes,Notes.Learner_ID = Value(MyLearnerID.Text))

Neither of these worked either.

Hi. I'm still not having any luck with this issue. Interestingly, I was following some steps in a tutorial recently, using dummy entities that I had set up specifically for that purpose, that involved a filter function on a look up field, and that didn't work either.

The environment is pre-existing the spring cds update, so I'm beginning to wonder if that could be the cause?

I'm in the process of moving everything to a new environment so that I can test that theory...

@v-xida-msft I have transferred everything into a new environment, but unfortunately, that seems to have it's own problems.

The filter function is pivital to the functionality of my app. Do you have any other ideas on why the function isn't working?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (3,198)