cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
techtudoor
Resolver I
Resolver I

Filter distinct combobox

I have 10 comboboxes with distinct results. These comboboxes are filtering a gallery (think spreadsheet filter options). I have all 10 comboboxes working with their distinct syntax and the gallery is filtering correctly. Now I want to filter the comboboxes distinct to only show relevant information dependent on one or more of the other combobox. 

Such as combobox1 has 5 options that are unique names (action1, action2, action3, action4, action5). Combobox2 has (date1, date2, date3). Action1 and action3 both have date2. So if I filter combobox2 by date2, I should only see action1 and action3 in combobox1.

Has anyone ran into an issue like this and found a solution? Maybe I am over thinking this as I have been working on this PowerApps for 2 weeks and am not seeing the simple things..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@techtudoor 

Definitely don't overcomplicate in PowerApps...Keep it Super Simple!

That said, I believe based on your description, that the information I provided in this thread posting might help solve your situation.  Take a look and see if that gives you what you are looking for.  Slightly different scenario, but similar in concept to how to do it.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
satishkumark
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Team,

I am also working for the same scenario. I have a SP List which contains combination of single line of text columns and 10 Columns are choice type.

Now I want to filter combination of text fields and Choice type and display the data into a Gallery in there respective columns. 

I can able to filter combination of all columns except Tools Column. 

Filter formula Items property in Gallery.

If(
(IsBlank(DDSearchText.Text) && IsBlank(PNSearchText.Text) && IsBlank(AccountSearchText.Text) && IsBlank(ToolsComboBox.SelectedItems) && IsBlank(CategoryComboBox)),
CatMaster,
Filter(
CatMaster,
DDSearchText.Text in DD && AccountSearchText.Text in AccName && PNSearchText.Text in ProjectName && MethodSearchText.Text in Method && CategoryComboBox.Selected.ToolCategory in Category
)
)

PFA SP List  and Gallery screenshots.

Any help would be appreciated.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@techtudoor 

Definitely don't overcomplicate in PowerApps...Keep it Super Simple!

That said, I believe based on your description, that the information I provided in this thread posting might help solve your situation.  Take a look and see if that gives you what you are looking for.  Slightly different scenario, but similar in concept to how to do it.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

@RandyHayes , this seems to make sense. I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Thank you

@satishkumark ,

In response to your PM

Filter(
   CatMaster,
   (IsBlank(DDSearchText.Text) || DDSearchText.Text in DD) &&
   (IsBlank(PNSearchText.Text) || PNSearchText.Text in ProjectName) &&
   (IsBlank(AccountSearchText.Text) || AccountSearchText.Text in AccName) && 
   (IsBlank(MethosSearchText.Text) || MethodSearchText.Text in Method)
   (Len(CategoryComboBox.Selected.ToolCategory)=0  || Category = CategoryComboBox.Selected.ToolCategory) 
)

@RandyHayes, this is working great Thank you very much!! I am however running in to 1 issue though, I have a date field as one of the comboboxes. This date field I want to display the date in the combobox only in the mm/yyyy format. This is working. The problem is that once I select a date from the combobox, the other Comboboxes do not display any options. Ideas?

Sort(
    Distinct(
        Filter(
            SPLIST,
            (IsBlank(varGalleryFilter.Title) || Title = varGalleryFilter.Title) && (IsBlank(varGalleryFilter.Column3) || Column3.Value = varGalleryFilter.Column3)
        ),
        Text(
            SubmittedDate,
            "[$-en-US]mm/yyyy"
        )
    ),
    Result
)

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@techtudoor 

So, this formula looks fine, but you are losing the real date of that column!  How will this impact the other dropdowns?  Are then dependent on a Date value or only on a "mm/yyyy" text string?

I am converting all dates on this screen to a string. Due to space limitations and ease of use, I am searching on mm/yyyy while the Date field in the gallery is a string with mm/dd/yyyy. I am still working on this as it will be a big option that the will be asked about.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@techtudoor 
So the key is that you're going to have to compare text to text in exact format.  So if you are converting to mm/yyyy, then for all the other dates you will need to do the same and compare accordingly.   10/2020 does not compare to 10/13/2020 for example.

@RandyHayes, thank you so much!! This works. I still am working on getting the People field working, but that may be a syntax issue. I am using Left(peoplebox.Selected.Email, LEN(peoplebox.Selected.Email) -n {n is number of characters to remove domain from email}. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,968)