cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Filter managed metadata column based on a managed metadata column in another datasource = a managed metadata selected item

I have two managed metadata columns:  Division and Director in a datasource (SharePoint List) called Onboarding.  I have a second datasource(DivisionDirector) that holds the same managed metadata columns Divison and Director with a one to many relationship.  One Division can have more than one Director.  This is my lookup list.  I cannot get any formulas to work on this.  I keep getting the error that it is unsupported data.

I need to Filter (Choices([@Onboarding.Director]),Choices([@DivisionDirector.Divison])=OnboardingDivision.Selected)

I want only those Directors to be available choices that match the equation.

I have been pulling my hair out on this.  Any help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @IntraAdmin ,

Firstly, let me explain your two lists:

Onboarding list:  Division and Director

DivisionDirector list:  Division(lookup field, looks up to Director in Onboarding list)and Director

Am I right?

Actually, I'm not very sure the relationship between these two lists.

If I misunderstood anything, please correct me.

Or you could directly show me the structure of these two lists, which will help you understand a lot.

Secondly, could you describe more clearly about the filter rule?

Since your original formula is wrong, it's hard to get your real meaning just based on this wrong formula.

What's more, please notice the structure of lookup field.

This field is a nested table with only two fields named Value and Id.

When you filter the choices of lookup field, you need to filter based on these two columns.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yutliu-msft Actually, the list is not technically a lookup list since you can't do a lookup on a taxonomy field.

DivisionDirector:  Division (managed metadata), Director (managed metadata) - this list has the relationship between Division and Director, e.g.  ITD       Sam Smith

ITD        Jane Doe

HRD      Frank Jones

Onboarding:  Division (managed metadata), Director (managed metadata) - These fields are obviously using the same managed metadata fields as above.  When a division is selected in Onboarding, e.g. ITD, I need to compare the value to the Division field in the DivisionDirector list and return only those Directors (in the Directors dropdown in Onboarding) with a matching Division. e.g. Sam Smith, Jane Doe.

I would leverage Azure AD, but I can't guarantee it will be correct.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.  I have a feeling it has to do with the managed metadata.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (11,470)