cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emannari
Level: Powered On

Filter not working on Power BI tile in Power Apps

Hi all, 

Disclaimer: There was a previous discussion on an issue involving Power BI tiles and Dynamics 365 data, and I'm having a similar issue working with QuickBase. 

I've added a Power BI tile to my Power App. The Power BI report was created using data from Quickbase. The dashboard tile was then created from a report, like this.

My tileURL is as follows (with the IDs replaced with my own IDs):

"https://app.powerbi.com/embed?dashboardId=<dbID>&tileId=<tileID>&groupId=<groupID>&config=<config>&$filter=SchedulesDevTable/ActivityType eq '" & UserInput.Text &"'"

The graphic prints out fine and you can interact with it, but the filter doesn't work! 

I've tried this with/without plaint text, with a hard coded value, different columns, made sure there were no spaces in column headers that I've used, checked the column is type Text in Power BI.... All I get is the original grahic, no filtering.

I've also removed & re-added the tile to PowerApps, changed the graphic within Power BI and re-published to make sure the PowerApps interface was updating (it did), and refreshed everything. 

Help!

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Filter not working on Power BI tile in Power Apps

Hi @emannari ,

Please note that:

1)Table and Field names are case-sensitive, value isn't.

2)Special characters and spaces require some additional formatting. 

So, if your tablename and fieldname have the problem of  case-sensitive, please modify your formula.

If your tablename and fieldname have spaces/special characters inside, please modify your formula like this:

Identifier Unicode Coding for Power BI
Table Name Space is 0x20 Table_x0020_Name
Column@Number @ is 0x40 Column_x0040_Number
[Column] [ is 0x0058 ] is 0x0050 x0058_Column_x0050
Column+Plus + is 0x2B Column_x002B_Plus

What's more, there are a couple of things to be aware of when using the query string parameters.

• When using the in operator, the values to the right of in must be a comma-separated list enclosed in parentheses.
  • In Power BI Report Server, you can pass report parameters by including them in a report URL. These URL parameters aren't prefixed because they're passed directly to the report processing engine.
  • Query string filtering doesn't work with Publish to web or Export to PDF.
  • Embed with report web part in SharePoint Online doesn't support URL filters.
  • The long data type is (2^53-1) due to Javascript limitations.
  • Report URL filters have a 10-expression limit (10 filters connected by AND).

Here's  a doc about it for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-url-filters

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
emannari
Level: Powered On

Re: Filter not working on Power BI tile in Power Apps

Hi @v-yutliu-msft 

Thanks for the response & links. I'm doing everything you mentioned / some things don't apply:

1. My table & field names match the camelcase I used in the database

2. There are no spaces nor special characters

3. I'm not using the in operator

4. I'm using Power Apps, not publish to web, export as a pdf nor Sharepoint

I can successfully pass the same parameters within Power BI server as follows, and it works fine.

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/<groupID>/reports/<reportID>/ReportSection<#>?filter=SchedulesDevTable/ActivityType eq 'Write'

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,122)