cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Filter on Choices in ComboBox

I have a Sharepoint list in excess of 5,000 records. Within these records I have a [Store] column for which I'd like to get the distinct list for use in a Combo Box.

I tried filtering as below, but get the error "Invalid Schema, expected a one-column table"

Filter(
   'Merchandiser Inspection',
   Store_DataCard1.DataField in Store_1
 )

As a test, I tried wrapping my Choices function in a Distinct function (see code below), but that hasn't worked as it still tries to fetch all 5000+ records.

Distinct(
    Choices('Merchandiser Inspection'.Store),
    Store_1
  )

I've read a few other such issues on how to resolve this, but I cannot relate any to my scenario. I've got to think it's a simple answer - any help/pointers appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Filter on Choices in ComboBox

@wi11iamr 

Your simplest solution would be to create a separate list which holds these distinct values and use that for your dropdown.

The in operator and Distinct function aren't delegateable and will run into delegation and/or data row limit issues.

Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hey @wi11iamr 

I made a test on my side and created a SharePoint list with more than 5.000 records and a choice column "Store". When I add the following formula to my combobox, it works as expected.

Choices(Merch.Store).Value

Merch is the list name. Because it is a choice field, you need to wrap them in a "Choice" function and display the value by ".value". Even with this I just receive only my 8 different choices from the list. You could also add the "Distinct" function:

Distinct(Choices(Merch.Store).Value;Value)

Otherwise: What kind of column type is your store column and about how many distinct elements should be in your combobox? Maybe a screenshot would also help to understand.

Best regards
Marvin

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. If it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users to find it.

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@wi11iamr 

Just checking in to see if you managed to get a solution? If not, either myself or @MarvinBangert would be happy to help you further.

Cheers

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks @Eelman and @MarvinBangert , I've not got it quite sorted and need to find some quiet time to work through/with the examples you've given. Just wrapping up some start-of-week urgencies and hope to get back to this later in the week. I'll keep you posted - thanks again for the feedback and suggestions so far.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,534)