cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leemex
Level: Powered On

Filter on datasource

Hey there

I'd like to use the filter function and filter on a datasource. Is this somehow possible?

E.g. when User().Email = john.doe@powerapps.com use datasource "john_doe".

I hope this makes sense. The reason I'm asking is that each of our users has his own table/datasource. Whenever someone is using the PowerApps application it should only show his/her table. 

9 REPLIES 9
Super User
Super User

Re: Filter on datasource

Good day.

Unfortunately this is not possible that I am aware of.

Why does every user have his\her own datasource? Can you not use the same data source and filter the data based on the logged in user?

Kind regards

leemex

Awww, that kinda sucks.

Unfortunately not. The DB schema is given (SAP) and I can't change it. Maybe my thinking is wrong and there might be another solution, but I want to display a set of data in a gallery based on the logged in user. This "set of data" is always a table and it varies based on the logged in user. 

Super User
Super User

Hi @leemex

Will this always be used for reading data, or do you want to update data through it as well?

You could use a custom HTTP connector, or Flow to retrieve some dynamic data.

leemex

It is only used to read data, yes.

The custom HTTP connector I can only create with the help of Logic Apps (Azure), am I right?

Super User
Super User

You can use it from PowerApps and Flow as well.

You could also use Flow to issue SQL queries to SQL which could be dynamic based on that is passed to it from PowerApps. 

See below very cool video from Mr Dang on how this can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_H5r0nzwy4&t=385s

This is an example of how we have used it in the past.

2019-01-21_16-56-35.jpgIssue SQL queries from Flow

Super User
Super User

Hi Lee,
If you put all of the tables in one excel file, (different sheets) you could import them all as static data files. Then, use a global variable as an alias for the datasource, ie. Set(var, DatasourceForUser1) as the data source for various controls. Then have a complex If() statement assigning each user's table to the global variable depending on the user's login credentials. If(user.email=xxx,Set(var,Table1,user.email=yyy, Set(var,Table2,etc.
leemex

Thanks for that suggestion. Is the filter function working with a variable? I already tried to use a label field containing the right name like so Filter(label, ....), but without success.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @leemex,

You could try to add all these data sources to this app, and then use If function to make controls to use different data sources according to the login user. For example, you have SharePointList1 and SharePointList2 data sources connected to this app, then for a gallery control, set below formula in the Items property:

If(User().Email="xxx",SharePointList1,User().Email="xxxxx",SharePointList2)

and so on..

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
leemex

Hi @v-monli-msft

I see your point. Thanks...

However, there might be hundreds of users (leaving the company, joining the company) which is why a hardcoded name isn't a solution.

It would need to be more something like:

If(user().Email = Lookup(...)

to check a table for the right email address assigned to that user. As each other will get his own table I can't always rewrite PowerApp to add the new tables as data sources.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Coming Soon: T-Shirt Design Contest

Keep your eyes open for our upcoming T-shirt design contest!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,364)