cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regular Visitor

Filter or Group Gallery Rows

Hi

I am a new powerapps user and need some help.  I have a list of customers and each customer has multiple contacts.  How do I get the gallery to show the company name only once but when I click on the name it takes me to all the contacts linked to that company.

Your help will be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Chrismgee 

Have a drop-down showing the company list

Distinct(
   YourListName,
   Company
).Company

and then filter the gallery to show the names

Filter(
   YourListName,
   Company = YourDropDownName.Selected.Company
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Chrismgee 

Have a drop-down showing the company list

Distinct(
   YourListName,
   Company
).Company

and then filter the gallery to show the names

Filter(
   YourListName,
   Company = YourDropDownName.Selected.Company
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Hi Chris, I am trying to build a very similar app, i have two lists in sharepoint, one contains the Company information and the other contains the Contact information for the employees at that organisation, I've been successful in generating an app that shows the company information but i'm struggling (as it seems you are) to be able to show a list of the contacts when selecting the Organisation from the gallery view.

If anyone can assist by pointing us in the right direction we'd (hope you don't mind me speaking on behalf of you here Chris) appreciate any guidance.

If i make any progress on my own i'll post back here and let you know.

I'm surprised this isn't a more common theme.

Cheers

Tim 

Hi Warren, 

My scenario is slightly different to Chris' in that i have generic company info i want to be able to show on one view with a list of employees on a second view.

i'm thinking i need to show a second gallery filtered by the company name? or would you do it differently?

Cheers

Tim

Hi @Chrismgee ,

Yes, that your work as well - the Items of that one would be

Filter(
   YourListName,
   Company = YourFirstGalleryName.Selected.Company
)

Thanks for that @WarrenBelz  but i wonder if i could bother you a little more, I'm not getting the result i expect, in the filter which is added as:

Filter('VCL - Contacts', Company = 'Company Gallery'.Selected.'Company Name')

The = in the formula (as highlighted)  is not accepted and gives an error (red squiggly line) is this a limitation when working with SharePoint lists?

Also when i add a new icon to the default gallery, how would i link that icon to the sub gallery, again i expected to use select('Contacts Gallery') but again i'm getting an error with this.  

Sorry to be a pain, bit new at this, appreciate your guidance.

Cheers

Tim

Hi @Woodsta ,

Two questions 

Where did you get 'Company Name' from in the drop-down - what are the Items of this control

What type of field is Company in your data source?

Hi @WarrenBelz,

Sorry I've realised i'm not being very descriptive, please see the attached images to outline the lists i'm referencing in SharePoint

The "Company Name" field comes from the "VLC - Vendors" list and is a plain text filed.

The "Company" field comes from "VLC - Contacts" list and is a lookup field on the VLC - Vendors"  list. 

I hope this is a bit more descriptive.

Cheers

Tim

Oh and the other picture is there to show what i'm doing on the main gallery view - the People icon SHOULD open the Contacts gallery (filtered by the company) - the journal icon opens the company details page (working)

Hi @Woodsta ,

Yes the problem is trying to filter on a Lookup field. For many reasons, I do not use these as it is possible (and far easier) to do all the same things in PowerApps, however try this

Filter(
   'VCL - Contacts', Company.Value = 'Company Gallery'.Selected.'Company Name'
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call- January

Mark your calendars and join us for the next Power Apps Community Call on January 20th, 8a PST

PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,229)