cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CindyZ
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Filter parent and child lists from one search combobox

I have two lists that are geographical locations.  One is the parent list and the other a child list.  They are tied together via the parent ID.  

I'd like people to be able to select a state, for instance, and have it filter through all locations in the parent and the child site and return the results BUT direct the user to contact the parent site.  

No doubt, there is a formal name for what I'm trying to do but I have no idea what it is or how to even clearly explain it.  So, I'm including some examples that I hope will help. 

I need to be pointed in the right direction as the best way to accomplish this.  Right now, my search works perfectly fine searching on the parent list -- but we've now added children and want to direct people to the parent -- if there is a parent.  

Thanks in advance for your consideration and guidance on how to approach this.  

Example of Parent and Child Records - Results to be returned.png

5 REPLIES 5
BoHamad
Helper I
Helper I

Forget what i wrote all wrong

StalinPonnusamy
Super User
Super User

Hi @CindyZ 

Please share a piece of information to help with this.

1. What data source like SharePoint, SQL or Datacerse
  2. Can you explain "Direct the user"? Do you want to navigate to another screen or Sharepoint list item?

Thanks,
Stalin - Learn To Illuminate

Absolutely, and thank you.   

This is SharePoint. 

I would want them to be able to click somewhere (Probably on the parent record - gray)  that would then take them to a screen that would show the details for the parent -- or for that matter in a gallery beside the returned

results.  

Hi @CindyZ 

Set the Onselect property of the button or link to

If(!IsBlank(ThisItem.ParentID),Set(varParentId, ThisItem.ParentID); ViewForm(EditForm1); Navigate(EditScreen1))

On the Edit Form Set the item property of the form to

LookUp(SPListParent, ID=varParentId)

Thanks,
Stalin - Learn To Illuminate

Thanks, StalinPonnusamy,  I think what I'm still  missing is how to get that child content to be a part of the search.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,559)