cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter wrapped around if statement giving delegation warning

Hi,

I want to filter my gallery dynamically. If the user is the manager they must see their region's records. If it's a local office user they must only see their office's records.

Datasource SP list.

On the items property of the gallery I wrote this function but I get a delegation warning:

Filter(Datasource, If(IsUserRE,Region =varRERegion, Office = varUserOffice))

The variables are initialized Onstart property of the app.

varRERegion returns a value from a choice column in another SP list based on a lookup of the logged in user.

How do I get rid of the delegation warning?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

The types between region and office should not make a difference as long as your variables you are comparing to are the same types (i.e. office and varUserOffice are numeric, etc.)

If they are you might try to change the formula slightly to force an order of operations:

Filter(Datasource, 
    (IsUserRE && (Region = varRERegion)) ||
    (!IsUserRE && (office = varUserOffice))
)

This just makes sure that the Boolean IsUserRE is not getting evaluated against Region or office.

If you still experience an error, post back a screenshot of the formula with any red or blue underlines shown.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
BCLS776
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous,

If statements don't delegate, leading to a warning. Can you instead do something like?:

If(IsUserRE,
    Filter(Datasource, Region =varRERegion),
    Filter(Datasource, Office = varUserOffice)
)

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Please consider changing your Formula to the following:

Filter(Datasource, 
    (IsUserRE && Region = varRERegion) ||
    (!IsUserRE && office = varUserOffice)
)

Always avoid using If statements in your Items/Filter formulas as much as possible.  

Your Filter statements should only have 1 filter in them - again as much as possible.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @RandyHayes ,

Many thanks once again!! I have implemented your formula and it works but I get this message:

DanielRK_0-1623138563537.png

It is is true the region is a number and the office is a text value. Is this a problem?

I did try wrapping the number in a text function but that didn't help.

Does it matter or can I ignore this warning?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Daniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @BCLS776 ,

Thanks for your help on this!

Regards,

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

The types between region and office should not make a difference as long as your variables you are comparing to are the same types (i.e. office and varUserOffice are numeric, etc.)

If they are you might try to change the formula slightly to force an order of operations:

Filter(Datasource, 
    (IsUserRE && (Region = varRERegion)) ||
    (!IsUserRE && (office = varUserOffice))
)

This just makes sure that the Boolean IsUserRE is not getting evaluated against Region or office.

If you still experience an error, post back a screenshot of the formula with any red or blue underlines shown.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @RandyHayes ,

Thanks this is great. It narrowed down the problem to Region (number) being compared to varRERegion (text).

I wrapped the varRERegion variable in a Value() function and that seems to have solved it.

Thank you again for all your expert advice!

Regards,

Daniel

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Yes, those comparisons need to be the same types!  Glad you discovered that and it is all working now for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

N/A

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,554)