cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
KevinHardy
Level 8

Filtered gallery and detail screen problems

I am building an app to record case notes for (4) clients across the day. We have 4 shifts - Morning, Afternoon, Evening, and Night. And there are several things that need recording for each shift. This results in a sharepoint list with many columns - i.e. Morning Notes, Afternoon Notes, Evening Notes, Night Notes (but with ten entries per shift). The column names repeat with just Morning, Afternoon, etc in front of them.

There is also a column for client name and workers name.  The aim is to refresh this list each month.

I have built a gallery view which works from a dropdown box (of client names) to display only the notes for that client. But as the days go on this list will be quite long as there will be 4 separate entries for each day (morning, evening, etc).

So I have two questions.

1) At present I have a gallery default "Filter('Daily Logs', SPN = Dropdown.Selected.'Supported Person')"  which works fine.

The Sharepoint list uses a Choice column for Supported Person and this wouldn't work in the dropdown search or filter so I duplicated the column as single line text 'SPN' as a workaround. 

Is it possible to combine this with a text search too?

2) The Gallery screen contains very basic information for each entry (Date, Shift (morning, afternoon, etc) and Client Name (SPN))

I have created a Detail Screen to view each entry in more detail but I'm having difficulty working out how best to do this.

The Gallery screen item would show 'Morning' shift, so how do I populate the detail screen with all the relevant details from the correct columns (i.e. just the Morning shift ones).

Is it possible to set a variable such as cShift to the text value of 'Shift period' and have something along the lines of ThisItem.(assigned variable)+(column name)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Filtered gallery and detail screen problems

I believe one of your questions is how can you filter based on more than 1 dropdown. 

I have attached a document that shows you how to do it. Let me know if this helps. 

Also, am not sure I understood if there are any other questions. Let me know if there are.

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos. And if this solves your problem, please accept this reply as the solution. Thanks!

Hardit(Haman)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Lets address both of your questions: 

1. Are you asking if you can have the ability to filter AND search at the same time? Also, I am not sure I understand why you had to create a text field. You should be able to filter using the Supported Person field. 

2. One thing you can do is once a customer is selected, show a dropdown of all the shifts. If the user selects Morning, then filter the gallery of shifts to show only those entries that are for the Morning shift. That way the list will not be too long, and you can display the details of those shifts either within the gallery itself OR you can have the user click on a shift to go to a diff page to view the shift details. 

Let me know if this helps and/or if you have any questions. 

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos. And if this solves your problem, please accept this reply as the solution. Thanks!

Hardit(Haman)

KevinHardy
Level 8

Hi @PowerAddict , thanks for the reply.

In reply to your first point:

In the Sharepoint list (called 'Daily Logs') I have a column called 'Supported Person Name' which is a Lookup column getting the list from another list called 'Supported People' - a central database list of all residents across the charity).

There is also a a "Morning Support Staff Name' which is a Person column (gets the name from looking at email address).

This works fine when writing data to the list from the app.

However, when I began building the Gallery these fields did not show up in the list of fields you can add to the Gallery. After looking on line I found a workaround, which was to copy the value from the 'Supported Person Name' Lookup field to a single line text field 'SPN' - which would then show up in the Gallery.

I have a similar problem with displaying the 'Support Staff Name' field in the Detail Screen - in that it wont display the field without an error. Presumably because it is a Person column?

With regards to filtering the Gallery. Is is possible to filter from more than one dropdown? At the moment I have a dropdown that has the 'Supported Person' names in it. But if I could then also have another dropdown with 'Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night' to further filter the Gallery, this would work for my needs.

I am currently trying to find a way around the 'display all the fields please' problem 🙂

Kev

Super User
Super User

I believe one of your questions is how can you filter based on more than 1 dropdown. 

I have attached a document that shows you how to do it. Let me know if this helps. 

Also, am not sure I understood if there are any other questions. Let me know if there are.

---

Hardit(Haman)

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Platform 24

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,594)