Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
golfnutt82
Post Patron
Post Patron

Filtering List Data Based on a ComboBox Selection

Hello,
I have a list and I want to filter and display the data based on a combobox choice.
However, when I try to do this I am getting an error.
You will notice that I am attempting to create a variable as well to use on other data to display as a result of the search result.
The "Role" field in the "Roles" List is a text field that is updated after a workflow runs.
The combobox field is grabbing the list column data.

golfnutt82_0-1634663504528.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@golfnutt82 

You cannot use the Choices function on a Text column.  If you are looking for distinct values, then use the Distinct function:

Filter(Distinct(Roles, Role), ComboBox2.SearchText in Result)

You really don't need a variable for this as your control already serves as a dynamic variable that will already contain the information you need.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@golfnutt82 

You cannot use the Choices function on a Text column.  If you are looking for distinct values, then use the Distinct function:

Filter(Distinct(Roles, Role), ComboBox2.SearchText in Result)

You really don't need a variable for this as your control already serves as a dynamic variable that will already contain the information you need.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

Hi Randy,
Thanks for the reply.
I received this error.

golfnutt82_0-1634666967135.png

In the OnChange event on a separate form, I use the following to populate other fields when a choice is made from a lookup which I was trying to use with a combo box.

golfnutt82_1-1634668028538.png

How could I display other list data on the form when a choice is selected if I am not able to use a variable as I was able in my other form?

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@golfnutt82 

Well first, you can use a variable, but I was stating that you don't need a variable as your source control already has what is needed.  A variable would just be a static snapshot that you need to maintain in your app.

As for the formula...re-read what I wrote for the formula - you are missing a closing paren.

Thanks, missed that.
I appreciate your assistance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,248)