Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morall
Microsoft
Microsoft

Filtering using Len in a gallery

Works:

Sort(Filter('Pipeline Candidates', Len(Gallery1.Selected.'Candidate Summary')<50), 'Created On', Descending)

that works, but switching the sign to > doesn't

Doesn't work:

Sort(Filter('Pipeline Candidates', Len(Gallery1.Selected.'Candidate Summary')>50), 'Created On', Descending)

Any reason why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@morall 

I'm not sure what you are trying to actually filter, but you are only basing your filter on ONE item.

Sort(Filter('Pipeline Candidates', Len(Gallery1.Selected.'Candidate Summary')<50), 'Created On', Descending)

That one item is the value of the Candidate Summary of the currently selected item in your Gallery.

So, if that ONE item is a length of less than 50, then the result is true for every record.  If you switch the sign, the statement will evaluate to false...and you'll have no records.

I believe you want this instead:

Sort(Filter('Pipeline Candidates', Len('Candidate Summary')<50), 'Created On', Descending)

I hope this helps.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@morall 

I'm not sure what you are trying to actually filter, but you are only basing your filter on ONE item.

That one item is the value of the Candidate Summary of the currently selected item in your Gallery.

So, if that ONE item is a length of less than 50, then the result is true for every record.  If you switch the sign, the statement will evaluate to false...and you'll have no records.

I believe you want this instead:

Sort(Filter('Pipeline Candidates', Len('Candidate Summary')<50), 'Created On', Descending)

I hope this helps.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

oh my god, sometimes when you get buried in the weeds you miss seeing the picture. 

thank you

when I try this with Sort() it works fine, but SortByColumns is throwing an error. In the suggestion box its suggesting using As, exactin, in and not <, > etc

SortByColumns(
    Filter(
        pipeline_candidates,
        Switch('Yrs of Exp drpdown'.Selected.Value,            
            "2-5 yrs", 'Years of experience' >= 2 && 'Years of experience' <= 5,
            "6-9 yrs", 'Years of experience' >= 6 && 'Years of experience' <= 9, 
            "10+ yrs", 'Years of experience' >= 10,
            true
        ) &&

(search_box.Text in Name Or search_box.Text in 'Candidate Summary' Or search_box.Text in 'Candidate Details')

&& 

PipelineTemplate.Name = 'pipeline drpdwn'.Selected.Result
        &&
        Switch(drpFastPass.Selected.Value, "Yes", Text(FastPass) = "Yes", "No", Text(FastPass) = "No", true)
        &&
        Len(pipeline_candidates.'Candidate Details') > 50  
        ## error is showing on the > symbol
        &&
        If(
            drpLocation.Selected.Value = "All", 
            true,
            drpLocation.Selected.Value in Concat('Desired Location'.Value, Value & ", "))
    ),
    "createdon",
    Descending
)

That makes me think Len(pipeline_candidates.'Candidate Details') is returning a list instead of a number?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,226)