Super User III

Re: Find Cycle Based on Date

@TerryR 

I would first put a label on your screen and set the text property to:

LookUp('[dbo].[CycleDates]',
       DateValue("7/22/2019") < CycleEndDate &&
       DateValue("7/22/2019") >= CycleStartDate
      ).Cycle_Number

Replace the hardcoded date with any value you know is valid. See if you get a value you expect or an error.

If you get an error, then I would remove your data source and then add it back in.  This all assumes that CycleEndDate and CycleStartDate are defined as Date fields in your table.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

It appears to me that the dates are not correlating between the one provided in the dte picker (or hardcoded in) and the date in the sql table.  When we set it up to look for the keyID = 21, for example, it pulls back the correct cycle, but not when we use date. Do the dates in the table and the target date need to be formatted the same?

When I put in DateValue("2019-05-29", "en-US") into the formula, the formula bar indicates that is equal to 5/29/2019m 12:00:00 AM.  The lookup table has dates formatted as 2019-05-29.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

We finally got this working.  We had to change the date fields in the SQL lookup table to Char(10), then the formula below worked!

LookUp(CycleDataSource,(DateValue(CycleStartDate) <= DateValue2.SelectedDate) && DateValue(CycleEndDate) > DateValue2.SelectedDate, Cycle)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@TerryR 

Gald you got it working.  However, there is no need to set those columns to char columns...the date fields and the comparisons work perfectly well and take less "processing" (in the sense of conversion formulas) to deal with.

So, if you come across it again, I would lean toward the data column before going with a text column.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

That's what I would prefer too, if I could get it to work!  It's working this way though, so I'm not to excited about reinventing the wheel after working on if for a month last time.  Maybe next time!  Thanks for supporting me through the problem.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,190)