cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Flow and PowerApps : Pass Parameters

The first image below is a Power Apps app which includes a button intended to launch a Flow and pass the values of 5 parameters to it.  The Flow is supposed to update a single row in an Excel file in a OneDrive folder.

The second image is the Flow within which 5 dynamic variables have been defined.

The expression associated with the button is 

'PowerAppsbutton-2'.Run(Label1.Value,Dropdown1.Selected.Value,TextInput2.Value,TextInput3.Value,TextInput4.Value)

When evaluated, the expression generates 5 errors each indicating "invalid input".   

The Flow is a Update Row function targeting a known good Excel file in a known good OneDrive folder.

QUESTION: What is wrong with my expression?

All help is greatly appreciated.  I'm new to PowerApps.

Cheers,

Bob G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Flow and PowerApps : Pass Parameters

Mabel,

Thanks for responding to my post and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.   As it turned out, my expression was fine.   The problem was one those obscure behaviors found in the undocumented aspects of PowerApps and Flow.   I eventually resorted to a MSoft Support call which provided the answer which was as follows...

I happened to be leaving my target Excel spreadsheet open when I would run my flow and, when open, it was "locked" from interoperating with Flow!   The fix was to be sure that, when I wanted to run and test my Flow, I had to be sure that my spreadsheet was closed.  

Note:  It is natural for a user to want to observe changes to a given spreadsheet when testing a Flow against it so the intuative thing to do is leave it open.    I must have had it closed once because my flow did run one time then surprisingly stopped running.  I must have left the spreadsheet open from that point until I spoke with support.

Thx again for your response.

Cheers,

Bob G.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BobG,

I assume that the issue was caused by Row Id. Row Id represents an ID which is different from the Row Number, once you create a connection to an Excel table, you will notice your table will now have a “_PowerAppsId_” colulmn, that is where you find the ID for that row, and you can later specify in a flow.

From the screenshot you provided, it seems that you are specifying the Row Id with a Dropdown control, which would not be validated by flow.

If you are trying to update an existing item, please try with the following workaround, without specifying the RowId from the app, select it from the previous action.

Please make sure there is a field that contains a value that would never be changed to a row, then you could filter out the specific row using a condition.

A screenshot for your reference.

1.PNG2.PNG

Please take a try with it on your side. 

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Mabel,

Thanks for responding to my post and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.   As it turned out, my expression was fine.   The problem was one those obscure behaviors found in the undocumented aspects of PowerApps and Flow.   I eventually resorted to a MSoft Support call which provided the answer which was as follows...

I happened to be leaving my target Excel spreadsheet open when I would run my flow and, when open, it was "locked" from interoperating with Flow!   The fix was to be sure that, when I wanted to run and test my Flow, I had to be sure that my spreadsheet was closed.  

Note:  It is natural for a user to want to observe changes to a given spreadsheet when testing a Flow against it so the intuative thing to do is leave it open.    I must have had it closed once because my flow did run one time then surprisingly stopped running.  I must have left the spreadsheet open from that point until I spoke with support.

Thx again for your response.

Cheers,

Bob G.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Robotic Process Automation

Let's talk about the solution provided by Microsoft for Robotic Process Automation (RPA)

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,378)