cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenOptum

Flow overrides 'Modified By' and 'Modified' columns - How can I get a field to keep the last user who made a change on the form?

Background: 

Our department handles Billing for our company. We sometimes get update requests from customers for issues such as updating a contact name or an e-mail address. When these requests come in, they are entered via the sales team contact using a PowerApp form with certain fields so we know what contract it belongs to, what line of business, etc. A biller then goes in and reads the request, makes the change, and then changes the status (a field drop down) to complete. 

Our flow runs depending on the status change, we have other ones such as 'Need More Information'. Our flow updated fields such as 'Time to Complete'

Problem:

Because the flow is connected to my SharePoint connection, and updates fields on its own, it overrides the actual user who made a change on the form to my name as the last 'modified by'.

What I need:   I want to know the last person who made a change on the form. I have tried creating a single line text column called "last modified by" following a video that talked about using a patch function on the 'On Success' function of the form, but could not get it to update the field. 

Any help would be great! Please let me know if I need to further clarify.

1 REPLY 1
Cooper01
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

The flow overwriting modified/modified by is expected. I think your idea of using the text field to specify modified by is a good approach.

It sounds like you have a Power Apps SharePoint form that users are editing. You could add your new custom modified by text field to the form, set the default to the current user's display name, and then set visibility of that field to false since there's no value in user's knowing you're saving that. I can't think of any reason why you'd move the update of modified by to OnSucess; the custom modified by is saved on form submit.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (18,713)