cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Flow to create Word document from PowerApp

I have created an app that connects to a SharePoint list and the app is working ok.  We now have a requirment where someone can open an item in the app and then press a button, which will output the fields from that item into a Word document.

The image below shows how I've tried to do this so far.  I have created a flow to add the fields in the item into an Excel spreadsheet, which works.  The next stage is then trying to create a Word document using information from the spreadsheet.  This Word document is created successfully but when I try to open it Word says the file is corrupt, and the reason for this is explained here.

My question is this - is it possible to create a file with blank file content?  I just need to create the file because I can then use another Flow to set the content of the file using field values from the SharePoint document library.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gjayne84,

Currently there is no Microsoft Word connector available in PowerApps or Microsoft Flow.

Which means currently it is not possible to create a word file, but you could take use of the Copy file action to copy a word document from one place to another.

If you would like Microsoft Flow to have the function of creating word type file, then please consider submit it as an idea, or vote the following one:

Add to Flow: Microsoft Word Actons

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gjayne84,

Currently there is no Microsoft Word connector available in PowerApps or Microsoft Flow.

Which means currently it is not possible to create a word file, but you could take use of the Copy file action to copy a word document from one place to another.

If you would like Microsoft Flow to have the function of creating word type file, then please consider submit it as an idea, or vote the following one:

Add to Flow: Microsoft Word Actons

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi,

I while ago I was also looking into document creation from Flow and came across this: https://plumsail.com/docs/actions/v1.x/flow/actions/document-processing.html#create-document-from-do... . Didn't try it, but looks promising Smiley Wink

Frequent Visitor

Haven't done with excel, but I use a sharepoint list item selected trigger to request or get data frome onenote notebook :: section :: page. Onenote returns data as html. So if you do onenote get page. Then add action html to text, you can then add to field cell in Share point list. Or skip html to text and grab html. Try create file action sharepoint with body.docx. with proper html content framework.... html body statements....might work.
Frequent Visitor

Also, new here, but stating simple solution isn't supported doesn't quite mean solved. We should shoot for actual solutions or leave as unresolved to invite creative workarounds.

Create site columns for all the variables in your Word document
Create a site content type derived from Document and associate the site columns with the content type
Create a document library called "my templates"
Change the document library to allow for managing content types
Add the site content type to the document library
Upload your word document to the library
Open the word doc in word desktop and resave back to the library, you will be prompted for which content type, choose the new one you just made
Close out of the old word doc and then delete it
Open the new word document
Insert into the word document the site columns in the appropriate locations in the document
Save and exit
Create another document library to contain your documents created by this process
Add the site content type to this doc library
Edit the advanced properties of the content type associated with this library to use the template document from the other library
Create a SharePoint list
Add the site columns to this list
Create a SharePoint Designer (not Flow) 2010 (not 2013) workflow that is associated with this list
The workflow is triggered by new or changes to the list
The step inside the workflow create a new item in the Document library using the site content type and also inerts the list values into the site columns associated with the content type
Publish the workflow
Create a powerapp on the list
Every new list item created by the powerapp will make a new word document

Hio

DO we really need a SHarePoint Designer (2010) workflow ?

Can Flow not do this ?

REgards

Nigel

Helpful resources

Announcements
News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call- January

Mark your calendars and join us for the next Power Apps Community Call on January 20th, 8a PST

PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,069)