cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Olivier
Level 8

Flow to trigger event in a powerapp?

Is it possible to use Flow to trigger a "reload" of a datasource in a PowerApp( refresh Gallery), or change a boolean flag? (anything that can be used as an event)

8 REPLIES 8
Meneghino
Level 10

Re: Flow to trigger event in a powerapp?

One thing i can suggest is the use if a timer control to regularly refresh one or more of your data sources. Please let me know if you need details.
Olivier
Level 8

Hi Meneghino,

I know how to use the timers, I use them already, but in this case, I do not want to refresh my Gallery from the datasource every minute.  Yet, there might be a new record from another process in my data source, and I would like to refresh within a minute when that happens.  If Flow could somehow be used, I can trigger a flow from that other process...

Thanks for the help.

Olivier

Meneghino
Level 10

Hi Olivier, understood.
I think what we need are push notifications in PowerApps, that would be a great addition.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Olivier,

Do you want to use a flow to refresh the App when a new item is created in the data source?

It seems that currently there is no trigger/action could be used to meet your needs. May I suggest you submit an idea at PowerApps Ideas Forum, so it might be considered as a future release:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Olivier
Level 8

Thanks Mabel,

I just did.   This would be a nice addition.

Olivier

Meneghino
Level 10

Hi Olivier, I just found this function; Office365.OnNewEmail()

It is included here:  https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/connection-office365-outlook/

However, cannot do anything with it yet, maybe someone else knows how...

If it could work as advertised, then you could trigger an event in PowerApps with a new email?

CaptureOnNewEmail.JPG

Olivier
Level 8

This could be interesting if effectively it does force re-evaluation of the formula when a new e-mail is available.  It seems to me that since you actually filtered this with the "First" function, it returns a collection of all "new" emails (the ones that haven't been read) at the time the function is evaluated (when the text box is loaded in your case?).  This would be similar to the Now() function that returns the current date-time value, but doesn't re-evaluate on every time change.

I think at this time that the best way to handle this is via a semaphore (boolean value in a very simple connection) that is read via a timer function, and if true triggers the refresh of the collection / datasource, and resets the semaphore to false.  The process that changes the data source is responsible to set the semaphore to true (it doesn't need to check if the semaphore is false, if the semaphore was already true, then a refresh request was already pending).

This requires "polling", but the polling of a single value.  I don't like it, but I think this is the only viable option at this time.

Ruizzie
Level: Powered On

Hi Olivier,

I was wondering if you have ever come across a better solution to this issue?

It is now 2019 and I don't believe any functionality for triggering a refresh of a PowerApp gallery based on new server data has become available as far as I can tell?

Sorry for reanimating an old thread like this..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch

Join us for the Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 AM PST.

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,881)