Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JHL1
Helper I
Helper I

ForAll/UpdateIf-challenge

Hi everybody,

I have a tricky scenario I am unable to solve myself. This is its background:

I have a Collection called CollProductLinesDistributor in which my App users store information about specific Product Lines and the regions those products are being sold at. In some cases it occurs that users will identify the same Product Line and a differing region. So the result will be:
Product X, Region X

Product X, Region Y 
Product Y, Region Z

Later on in the App I need to collect a key target value that applies to only the overall Product Lines.

So I therefore do not want to show the users the entire collection stated above, but only distict Product Lines.

Product X
Product Y

I therefore group the collection by Product Line and display this group in a gallery. In the gallery included a textinput in which the users can enter the key target value related to the individual Product Line.

And this my issue:
I do not succeed writing back the individually identified key target values and put them back into the CollProductLinesDistributor.

I experimented a lot with a ForAll(UpdateIf), ForAll(Collect(Filter) and their combinations yet do not succeed.

Any help much appreciated:

JHL1_1-1623407823016.png

Thank you and best regards

JHL  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@JHL1 

ForAll is a function that returns a table, so if you're looking at it as a for loop - it is not.

In your scenario, you are grouping the records to display them and then seeking input from the user to update....what?  The target value they are entering will be applicable to what in your list?  The list is now grouped together and thus is essentially a Distinct list.  So, if there are 20 records associate with the Product, what is it that you want to update?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

JHL1
Helper I
Helper I

So I ended up solving this based on the solution that you supplied me with @RandyHayes.

ForAll(RenameColumns(Gallery3_3.AllItems,"ProductLine","PRODUCTLINE2"),
UpdateIf(CollProductLineDristributor, 
    ProductLine = PRODUCTLINE2,
    {TurnoverTarget: If(TextInput3.Text=Blank(),0,TextInput3.Text),
     Edited:true}
));

For whom might be interested:
In the next step I had to add up the grouped Sums via Sum, here having the challenge of adding only the distinct values and not all values of the entire column. So I build another collection on top of CollProductLineDistributor:

ClearCollect(Coll_ProductLineSums,Distinct(CollProductLineDristributor,{ProductLine:ProductLine,Sum:TurnoverTarget}))

Cheers and thanks again Randy for pointing towards the right solution💪💪💪😊.

JHL

8 REPLIES 8
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@JHL1 

ForAll is a function that returns a table, so if you're looking at it as a for loop - it is not.

In your scenario, you are grouping the records to display them and then seeking input from the user to update....what?  The target value they are entering will be applicable to what in your list?  The list is now grouped together and thus is essentially a Distinct list.  So, if there are 20 records associate with the Product, what is it that you want to update?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

JHL1
Helper I
Helper I

Quick Update:
I was able to write in the textinput's content to the Parent Item shown in the grouped gallery via:

Patch(CollProductLineDristributor,LookUp(CollProductLineDristributor,ProductLine=PRODUCTLINE2),{TurnoverTarget:TextInput3.Text}))

Now I am facing the challenge of also passing on the values to the other Child items of the Grouped Collection:

JHL1_1-1623416745265.png

Hi @RandyHayes ,

Thank you for your response and trying to wrap your head around it. Much appreciated!

Please take a look at my additional post. I hope this makes things a bit clearer. 

BR

JH

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@JHL1 

Sure no problem.  

I have a question though, are you trying to do this for the entire Gallery?  I notice you have a Button in the gallery row...is this the place you are trying to do this operation?

@RandyHayes ,
No this is only for testing. I will place it later on on the OnChange property of the textinput.

BR

JHL

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@JHL1 

So then for your OnChange Action on the textinput, simply put this formula:

UpdateIf(ColProductLineDristributor, 
    {TurnoverTarget: Self.Text}
)

JHL1
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Randy,

again thank you for your very valuable input on this.

I assumed that you nestedt your Update if within the ForAll ending up in the following result that I at first placed on the OnChange of the Textinput:

{TurnoverTarget: TextInput3.Text}
))

If I do that however it results in bulk updating the last input to all and not distinguishing between the different Product Lines.

What I did then is placing the shown code on the Button and selecting it when all fields are filled in. Then it works the way it should.

As my logic throughout the App is that people type in the textinput and this will be stored to the collection, the Button-Solution only is my second choice.

Do you have another suggestion to make the update work individually OnChange of the Textinput opposed to hitting the button at the end of putting everything in?

Looking forward to your response a lot!

Thank you and best regards

JHL 

JHL1
Helper I
Helper I

So I ended up solving this based on the solution that you supplied me with @RandyHayes.

{TurnoverTarget: If(TextInput3.Text=Blank(),0,TextInput3.Text),
     Edited:true}
));

For whom might be interested:
In the next step I had to add up the grouped Sums via Sum, here having the challenge of adding only the distinct values and not all values of the entire column. So I build another collection on top of CollProductLineDistributor:

ClearCollect(Coll_ProductLineSums,Distinct(CollProductLineDristributor,{ProductLine:ProductLine,Sum:TurnoverTarget}))

Cheers and thanks again Randy for pointing towards the right solution💪💪💪😊.

JHL

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Power Apps Community Call Jan. 2022 768x460.png

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, January 19th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,094)