Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grapejuice
Helper III
Helper III

Form Edit Mode not detected on the first Run of Program

Good day,

It seems I have trouble with making a formula work ONLY on edit mode when it is Program is Firstly opened. This doesn't seem to happen on edit mode preview. 

The Formula of the first one is Parent.Default = 2021-10-17-PDMT-13

The  1 is just a checking to know if the application is detecting FormMode.Edit or not. It says 1 so it knows it is in edit mode

However, the encircled Item is showing  a different number and doing the "False" task.

grapejuice_0-1634494971857.png

This seem to happen only if I go straight to Edit Mode instead of going to create a new Form first. (But i sometimes need to do this sadly)

grapejuice_1-1634495072693.png

The Code is:

If(Form1.Mode = FormMode.Edit,Parent.Default,Text(DataCardValue2.SelectedDate,"yyyy-mm-dd-PDMT-")& Last('PADMOUNTED TRANSFORMER').ID+1)

Where:

DataCardValue2 = calendar date

Padmounted Transformer = Sharepoint data

ID+1 is just for counter purposes ( I do not want it to change if it is on Edit mode but at least display it. However it is displaying the ID+1 instead and if I click submit it will replace the value. Alternatively, i can disable the update on Form.Mode.Edit i suppose. But i rather have it display the correct value.

**this doesn't seem to be the case if a new sheet was already opened.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi @grapejuice ,

That would be a very good thing to learn - you will use it a lot. Select the form and then look for Item in the drop-down at top left. I suspect it is probably SelectedItem

If so, change it to

LookUp(
   'PADMOUNTED TRANSFORMER',
   ID=SelectedItem.ID
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Hi @grapejuice ,

To answer your two questions

Setting a Variable as the Item of a Form is a copy of the record selected in the gallery when it was selected and you would need to update the Variable for the form to refresh. The syntax I gave you queries the record directly in the data source (the record ID is static) and should refresh when the record does. I use this on every form I have and it works as expected.

The second one is more prevalent in mobile devices, but I have seen it on PCs as well, although not regularly. On the iPads, my users know to simply clear the cache if they have issues and this always works. On the PC, I find refreshing the browser page generally works.

8 REPLIES 8
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @grapejuice ,

What is the Item of your Edit Form?

grapejuice
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @WarrenBelz ,

Sorry where do I see the Item of Edit Form? I do not know how to open edit form besides using a command to view previous input using table to select

Navigate(Screen2,ScreenTransition.Cover,{SelectedItem:DataTable1.Selected});
EditForm(Form1);

For additional input the "Test ID" is the original "Title" I just renamed it.

Thanks in advance

Hi @grapejuice ,

That would be a very good thing to learn - you will use it a lot. Select the form and then look for Item in the drop-down at top left. I suspect it is probably SelectedItem

If so, change it to

LookUp(
   'PADMOUNTED TRANSFORMER',
   ID=SelectedItem.ID
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

grapejuice
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @WarrenBelz ,

It worked! But what seems to be the problem? You are correct it was SelectedItem.

It is working on "edit mode" straight to preview previously and it was not working when it was straight up from the program / not edit mode.

Now it works on both thanks.

grapejuice
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @WarrenBelz ,

Thanks for your help. Sorry but I have one last question rather than making another thread if that's okay.

I am having trouble with the "published" version showing the old version unless I open in an incognito tab 

OR clear cache of browser and relogin- this gets the job done but it is kinda annoying to have to do that everytime to ensure that the published version is updated

Hi @grapejuice ,

To answer your two questions

Setting a Variable as the Item of a Form is a copy of the record selected in the gallery when it was selected and you would need to update the Variable for the form to refresh. The syntax I gave you queries the record directly in the data source (the record ID is static) and should refresh when the record does. I use this on every form I have and it works as expected.

The second one is more prevalent in mobile devices, but I have seen it on PCs as well, although not regularly. On the iPads, my users know to simply clear the cache if they have issues and this always works. On the PC, I find refreshing the browser page generally works.

grapejuice
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @WarrenBelz ,

Thank you for your response.

For the first one regarding Item, basically it is safe to always do that on all forms and by no way changes anything except acting it as expected?

For the 2nd, strange I've been only using PC and it always has that flaw. even if i exit the entire browser sadly, need to clear cache 

Hi @grapejuice ,

I have used this on dozens of forms for a number of years - when you think about it, there is no more direct way of "pointing" a form at the record it is managing. I have not (probably fortunately) however experienced what you are on the version issue to any significant extent.

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,562)