cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jtillinghast
Frequent Visitor

Form: No Item to Display / Data Source May Be Invalid

I've created a form and linked it to a data source (Excel table in OneDrive). When I'm editing in a browser window, I see the individual data cards. When I run the app, though, the form just displays "No Item to Display." In addition, in the editing view (so again, with data cards and values that I can enter), if I click the submit button, I see an error message: "There was a problem saving. Your data source may be invalid."

I saw reference elsewhere in the forum to setting the form Item property. I set "Item = First(Period_3)", where Period_3 is the name of the data source table. No change.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17

Thanks

This worked for me - although I'm not sure why it works. I've never had to dothis before - but it works!

piotr1
Frequent Visitor

Works like charm. Thanks!

Really useful post. Thanks for posting these steps, really helped me 🙂

Thanks for this one, i was struggling to get through the same error for 3 days and this helped a lot to me. thanks a lot

Setting  Form -> Item property to Defaults(<DS name>) - does the trick

Anonymous
Not applicable

this worked for me. cheers

RachelRig
Advocate V
Advocate V

Just want to throw a note out here on this issue. Usually it works great to store the gallery item selection to a variable, such as varSelectedItem. This would be on the On Select property of an icon that you drop into the gallery.

Set(varSelectedItem,Gallery1.Selected)

...and then set the Item property of the Form on the next screen to varSelectedItem. 

One time, however, this would not work for me and the form could not find any item to display even though the variable had been set properly. Remembering that a form in New mode likes to have the Item property set to Defaults('List Name'), I experimented with this and found a way to make it accept the variable again.

By telling the form explicitly what to do in Edit vs New mode fixed this. So the Item property of my form is now: 

If(FormMode=FormMode.New, Defaults('List Name'), varSelectedItem)

Even though the form is in Edit mode, I needed to tell it what to do IF it was in New mode. It's not in New mode, so it goes ahead and displays the variable. I don't know why this suddenly became necessary, but give it a try if your form is not accepting a variable.
Tex
Frequent Visitor

I am creating a new form against a blank database. As @Anonymous says, make sure Default Mode is set to "New":

Tex_0-1610065364845.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (950)