Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fishbicki
Helper II
Helper II

Form with Pen input to local hdd

Hallo,

All my topics are getting blocked for some reason (Moderators please explain). So here is my topic on pastebin:

https://pastebin.com/raw/1UX4xHne

I've also changed the topic name to make it more short, hope this is still ok.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@fishbicki ,

Are you simply trying to put the "Content" field in a Gallery. It would be a text label with Text ThisItem.Content

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

@fishbicki ,

You said the following - not sure why it would not be posted

I want a simple offline app, without flow that:
1) asks for name
2) asks for company name
3) asks what place do they visit A or B
4) displays a document from *.pdf or *.docx with current date added on top (I've chosen these formats for simple swap in case of update by external people in firm - if there is a better solution please let me know)
5) that document is signed by someone via pen input - and after that someone confirms it, it's stored with signature in following format: <name_from_step1>_<firm_name_from_step2>_<current_date>.pdf on local drive.
6) a counter is displayed at the bottom that shows how many visitors are in place A and B - when someone leaves they tap on the number and then a list wiht all added forms is beeing shown where he can be uncheck.
Please share Your thoughts how can this be achieved, maybe there is something already out there that does this ? or maybe PowerApps is too much and can be done even easier ? (Android is the platform, on which this will be used)
I wanted to also point these things :
1) PDF and Word don't look like are supported that much - I see only options to import an excel sheet or music/image etc.
2) I thought about using SharePoint as data source and data storage - but PDFviewer dose not like it that way from what I experienced (or without flow usage).

There are 6 questions there which are fairly unrelated - the short answer is that 1-3 and possibly 6 could be done offline but certainly not 4-5 (which require connectors and PDF and Word are certainly possible). This forum can help you with code corrections if you have difficulties.

Thank You for the reply.

I understand that online is the only way. In this case I would like to use SharePoint as data source/storage. I still would strongly prefer the app to be PowerApps only.

On start using PDFviewer I've added SharePoint location in "Data Sources", and even when I provide the direct link to the *.pdf in PDFviewer's "Document" section - the document does not show.  What is the workaround here ?

*To Moderators - please close the other topic I've created. I thought this one would not be unblocked. Sorry for the duplicate.

Thanks @fishbicki ,

Firstly Power Apps has no data storage other the temporary collections and variables while it is running, so you need SharePoint or some other data source.

The PDF viewer needs a different process - I have explained it in some detail in this post I did a short while ago.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

I need additional guidance.

I have the PDFViewer (called PdfViewer4) and Button (called "Button_Viewer") on the same page - and I gave the following code on the button:

PowerAppsbutton.Set(
   stPDFName,
   ThisItem.PartCode
);
Set(
   ViewPDF,
   PDFView.Run(
      stSite,
      Concatenate(
         "/",
         stFolder,
         First(
            Split(
                stPDFName,
                "."
            )
         ).Result,
         ".pdf"
      )
   )
)

And created the Power Automate Flow (screen in attach), and added it to the "Button_Viewer". Still I can't figure it out how to make it work.

In PDFViewer properties I've set "ViewPDF.pdf" in "Document".

In "OnStart" of the "App" the following code is added:

Set(
   stSite,
   "https://xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/xxxx4"
);
Set(
   stFolder,
   "Fxxxxxxe/General/" 
)

I've tried also with "/Fxxxxxxe/General/"

Thanks @fishbicki,

For a start you have named both the file path and the file in the Flow whereas I have asked for them in PowerApps, therefore there are parameters you do not need. You also need to connect the Flow to the button and give it the parameters you have asked for.

When you say Still I can't figure it out how to make it work., have you run any Flows from PowerApps before?

I provided a structure that will work, but have to rely on you to now how to adapt it to your needs.

Thank You for Your help. I am very new to this and have no experience with this type of solutions (Power Apps and Flow).

I looked everywhere and found only overgrown methods that are beyond my needs. Trying to reverse-engineer them out is not that simple for me.

At this point I just want a PDF file to view from a SharePoint site.

OK @fishbicki ,

If you simply want to launch it in a browser, then put a gallery of the Library on the screen and on the icon put Launch('Link to item')

on the OnSelect property and it will do the job.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Ok, let's try a different route, without pdf's.

I would love a simple as possible solution (easy beyond everything) for showing just plain text that can be easily edited by someone within the firm (*.txt on SharePoint?). And later that text file to be saved with a signature on SharePoint.

This is all on a tablet with only PowerApps running (no browser etc.).

OK @fishbicki ,

First the good news - a simple Single Line of Text in SharePoint will do the text bit easily.

Now the other news - saving a signature with the Pen Input control is not a simple process and if you did not like the quite simple PDF Flow, you should not tackle this one which involves some custom code and data type conversions on the way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Users online (1,401)