Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aharsh
Helper II
Helper II

Form won't let me stretch form fields

Hi All,

I'm working on an easy app and I'm running into a frustrating issue I can't wrap my head around.  All I'm trying to do is customize the width of my form fields by dragging the container, like I've done on multiple apps in the past.  This form is pulling data from a SharePoint list.

My form is set to 12 columns (still didn't work no matter how many columns I selected)

I tried both Snap to Columns toggled on and off

When I try to resize the container (using any of the "grab" points on the container) it flattens the container to a couple pixels wide.  No matter what direction I try to resize it.  I can move the containers but can't resize them.  I'm including a photo of a container selected, then what it looks like when I try to resize it.

Thoughts??

original.pngdragged.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @aharsh ,

Forget about dragging - use the Width property of the DataCard, either in the top drop-down or the properties panel on the right.

As a small suggestion, start with the left card and keep pushing the ones to the right along as you go. I also suggest you leave Snap to Columns on.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @aharsh ,

Forget about dragging - use the Width property of the DataCard, either in the top drop-down or the properties panel on the right.

As a small suggestion, start with the left card and keep pushing the ones to the right along as you go. I also suggest you leave Snap to Columns on.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Thank you, @WarrenBelz !

That worked and once I got the hang of it was even easier than dragging.  A little odd how some forms behave differently than others, but I will start using this as my best practice.

Tip to others stumbling on this thread:  Sketch it on paper first (if it's complex) then put your cards where you want them before resizing.  Look at the overall width of your form, then do a little math to help you determine how many pixels you have for the layout you're trying to do. Then, as @WarrenBelz  recommends, start with top left.

Thanks @aharsh ,

I will give you another tip I do on larger forms. Unless the line contains only one card (full-width), I put a full-width empty custom card 1 pixel high between each row. That way, only one row can re-shuffle on you, rather than the whole form.

Ah, Fantastic! Thank you @WarrenBelz . I think that's a really useful best practice!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Carousel April Dunnam Updated 768x460.jpg

Urdu Hindi D365 Bootcamp

Dont miss our very own April Dunnam’s The Developer Guide to the Galaxy! Find out what the Power Platform has to offer for the traditional developer.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,274)